We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the hotel saranac

ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
the hotel saranac

having been a frequent visitor to Saranac Lake for many years we always loved dining at the hotel saranac which had been run by the students of paul smiths college. Disappointed that the college sold the hotel and is now under new management, we would be interested in hearing from anyone who has dined there since the sale. Is it still good? The food was always topnotch, service outstanding and also a wonderful gift shop. Your comments please.

illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the hotel saranac

I'm sorry to tell you that the Hotel Saranac has not fared well under new ownership. We visited every summer for the past 9 or so years and this year it was disappointing to say the least. What used to be a nice gift shop is understocked, dark and not open halsf the time. Service in the restaurants is again understaffed, floors were dirty, breakfast dishes still lying around and the food was not very good. The little pastry/coffee window is closed, as is the bakery. Desk service was surly and unhelpful. We were very sad to see how this hotel--which was once a destination in othrwise sleepy Saranac, has become shabby and undesirable.

ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the hotel saranac

Thank you so much for responding regarding The Hotel Saranac. We are obviously disappointed to hear of your most recent experience. Isn't it a shame things can't just "stay the same" which has always been part of the charm of Saranac Lake. That's what keeps travelers going back. I understand the position of Paul Smith's College in wanting to sell but it's unfortunate the new owner needs some lessons in restaurant/hospitality management. I agree with you totally that "sleepy" Saranac Lake needs this hotel/restaurant as it's been a destination for so many people for so many years and I fear that we're going to see Saranac Lake take a downhill slide - Hopefully not. Thanks again for your info. Maybe the new owner will get their act together and bring it back to the glory days!

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
110 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the hotel saranac

We rented cottage on lake Flower in SARANAC LAKE for a week, summer of 2007. The Hotel Saranac had already started to deteriate. The gift shop was empty, kind of like afire sale going on. The town itself has seen better days. It's the 'poor cousin' to Lake Placid. Tupper lake is even worse.

ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the hotel saranac

It makes me sad to hear this. Saranac Lake needs this hotel, restaurant and the gift shop. The hotel always had a certain ambiance that was a reminder of the Adirondacks of days gone by. Saranac Lake is a great little town despite the hotel's decline. I wish I was there right now. So nice!

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the hotel saranac

We ate at the restaurant early this summer. (actually in the "lounge" since the restaurant is closed) one word: AWFUL.....will NEVER go back unless I want food poisoning. I waited more than 15 min for my dinner--after the rest of my party was served--ordered the fish and chips (with onion rings instead of chips)--was served one piece of Mrs. Paul's battered fish (Or maybe it was Gorton's) and 3 onion rings. The only good thing I could say was it was hot. Never again. ever.

Chazy, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the hotel saranac

Hardly is Saranac Lake the poor cousin to Lake Placid. Saranac Lake is charming and real. Lake Placid, known locally as "Fake Plastic" is the phony, pretentious home of the 10 cent millionaires. Tupper Lake however has lumberjack millionaires who look and act like people.

7. Re: the hotel saranac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Saranac Lake
More Saranac Lake Topics