We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?

Which Saranac Lake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?

We want to go to the winter carnival at Saranac Lake in February and are planning to stay there, but are wondering if there's more to do in the daytime in Lake Placid than at Saranac Lake, in which case maybe we should stay there and go to the winter carnival at Saranac at night (we especially want to see the ice palace). Any thoughts?

3 replies to this topic
ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?

Put this question on the Lake Placid forum. The LP forum gets more questions and also more replies. It's a very active forum for information and there are usually some "resident experts" (as I like to call them) that have great suggestions and ideas. I know they will want to help you. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?

As I've attended almost every Carnival since I was little...now in my 30's, and now that I've moved away and going back to this year's carny, I had to ask the same question. Better accommodations in LP, but away from the action and energy of Winter Carnival.

Saranac Lake is definitely the place to stay during Carnival...there are events all day during the second weekend especially....and trying to get a cab from SL to LP after bands or night events is close to impossible. And when it's below zero...waiting for cab can be painful! Granted there is more and a broader range of shopping in LP during the day, it's just not the same as staying in SL. Having said that, most accommodations are sold out years in advances, though you can sometimes snag a room at best western mtn inn or be on a wait list at one of the motels that are on the water.

Hope this helps

Saranac Lake, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?

If you really want to get into Carnival, there are wonderful events scheduled both weekends from early morning until late at night every day. It is so nice to be able to go to the woodsman's expedition or craft fair in the morning, go back to your room for an hour or two and relax and then go back out for another event. When you are going back and forth between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, looking for parking or wating for a taxi it really takes away from the fun. There are places to stay in Saranac Lake, if you can't find a traditional hotel, there are tons of great weekend vacation rentals, specialty lodging and other things to accomodate you and your family or friends. The prices in Saranac Lake are usually better as well.

Reply to: Saranac Lake or Lakek Placid?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saranac Lake
More Saranac Lake Topics