We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak Restaurant

ThePrissyOne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Steak Restaurant

My boyfriend is flying up on Feb 27 to visit me (I live closer to the Syracuse area but wanted to show him Saratoga and visit some Albany friends). He loves a good filet so I wanted to take him to a really great steak place...I'm told "Prime" is that place. However, he has been living in the Florida Keys for 18 years and I don't want him to have to buy anything especially "cold-weather dressy" that he will never wear again. Are there other good steak places where we can be a little more casually-dressed? Oh, I went to One Caroline Bistro a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday and loved it...actually I would even take him there if I didn't want to find him a good steak. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak Restaurant

You heard right! Prime has the best filet in town- no contest. Definately calls for dressy, though. I haven't had great luck with Doc's Steakhouse, either. I really like the filet at Bloomer's, the Grey Gelding, and I love the gorgonzola/horseradish encrusted sirloin at the Old Bryn Inn. Longfellow's has a nice filet, too. Nothing will beat Prime, though. HTH.

ps I've also heard excellent things about 51 Front Bistro in Ballston Spa

Mentioned in this post
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak Restaurant

I forgot about Cliff's Country Inn in Malta. Very casual, and a great steak.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
ThePrissyOne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak Restaurant

Thank you JKelly, I will look into your suggestions. I'm also curious about pubs...it seems as if Toga has at least one Irish pub? I'd like to take him for a drink before dinner. Thank you again for your help.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak Restaurant

Yes, there are a few Irish pubs in town. My favorite is the Parting Glass. http://www.partingglasspub.com/ It looks like Hair of the Dog is playing that weekend. ($13 cover,8pm) If you don't want to see the band (or pay the cover) you can sit at the front bar area, though. There are so many great bars downtown. Another nice option for before dinner is the Wine Bar. They have a nice wine sampler (if you like wine!). http://www.thewinebarofsaratoga.com/index.htm

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Mentioned in this post
The Parting Glass
The Parting Glass
183 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
The Wine Bar
The Wine Bar
149 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
ThePrissyOne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak Restaurant

We love wine so I'm thinking we'll check it out before dinner Sat. night...and thank you for the pub suggestion, it looks great!

Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak Restaurant

I'm thinking you BF will love to go where ever you are and any meal had with you would be the most wonderful meal.

Does anyone know if there is a place to rent warm coats for 3 days? LOL

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak Restaurant

Awwww.... you guys are a cute couple.

Have you thought about buying a used coat at a consignment store? (If you are serious about needing one...)

Stay warm and have a great time!

ThePrissyOne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Steak Restaurant

Asking yet more questions...we probably won't make breakfast, but I welcome any lunch suggestions. We kinda like funky places, holes-in-the-wall with great food are fine too--we just aren't into "chain/chainesque" and the typical family restaurant. Also looking for any happy hour places. Thank you!

9. Re: Steak Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2009, 14:02
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steak Restaurant

My favorite kind of hole-in-the-wall kind of place downtown is called Esperanto's. They are currently expanding and have a big late night crowd, but it's also a great place to go for lunch (pizza is good, but try a Dough Boy or one of their burritos)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g48562-d41…

Also, the Spring Street Deli, Legends Cafe, and the Country Corner Cafe have good food.

As far as happy hour, I would just work your way down Caroline Street and see what you are in the mood for!

Mentioned in this post
Legends Cafe
Legends Cafe
7 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Country Corner Cafe
Country Corner Cafe
186 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY