We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from LaGuardia to Shelter Island?

Which Shelter Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from LaGuardia to Shelter Island?

Despite fairly extensive internet searching I cannot come up with a better way to get from LaGuardia airport to (or at least near) Shelter Island than to either:

(1) take a shuttle from LGA to JFK, the train from JFK to Jamaica station, then the LIRR to Greenport, and a ferry over to Shelter Island; or

(2) take a taxi from LGA to a bus stop in Queens, then the Hampton Jitney to (? not sure where would be the best).

I feel sure someone has a better suggestion for me. I have no experience traveling in this area, and am just randomly looking at stuff on the internet. Please help!! I don't want it to cost a fortune (as in limo service from the airport) or take forever (which option #1 seems to).

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from LaGuardia to Shelter Island?

Take the Sunrise Express bus from Queens to Greenport. You can walk to the ferry for Shelter Island from the bus stop in Greenport. If you take the Hampton Jitney, you have to get from either the Hamptons or Sag Harbor to the South Ferry and on to Shelter Island.

Taking the LIRR involves getting to Jamaica Station and then changing in Ronkonkoma. You don't save any time.

I can't find the website for Sunrise, but the local phone number is 631 477 1200.

WBE

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from LaGuardia to Shelter Island?

Take the Sunrise Express bus from Queens to Greenport. You can walk to the ferry for Shelter Island from the bus stop in Greenport. If you take the Hampton Jitney, you have to get from either the Hamptons or Sag Harbor to the South Ferry and on to Shelter Island.

Taking the LIRR involves getting to Jamaica Station and then changing in Ronkonkoma. You don't save any time.

I can't find the website for Sunrise, but the local phone number is 631 477 1200.

WBE