We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas of Syracuse

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Safe areas of Syracuse

My family will be taking a road trip from Chicago to the upstate NY area in August...husband, myself and 2 college age kids. I am considering using Syracuse for a base because we want to take day trips to Chimney Bluffs, Watkins Glenn and Old Forge without having to change hotels.

I have all the literature, but I am having a hard time figuring out where to stay because NY's promotions department divides the city up into areas: north, downtown, east and west and even the fairgrounds area. I am also finding some information telling me that downtown is old and tired and some areas are crime ridden, which I am having a hard time believing when I read about the Carousel Center and Armory Square for shopping.

I understand that urban areas all have their high and low points. I am just looking for some answers on what areas of the city would be safe, have reasonable hotels/restaurants/activities/shopping and be in a good location to make day trips. Also, are there areas to avoid?

We are also runners and the park area around Onondaga Lake looks like it has great running and biking paths from the pictures in my literature. Is it an ok area?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

The area to avoid is the south side (South Salina St and environs).

Areas in the city with good lodging options are generally safe.

The university and the area around it are tree lined and pleasant. The Wescott neighborhood is an artsy district with some good restaurants.

North Salina St. is the where the "Little Italy" section of the city is; good restaurants there as well. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods there are run down and probably sketchy at night.

Downtown Syracuse has many wonderful old buildings and a few good restaurants. The Armory Square area has good shopping and dining options as well.

The area around Onondaga Lake Park is fine; the trails are frequented by many locals both on foot and on bike. There are plenty of lodging options in nearby Liverpool (a suburb that is just outside of Syracuse).

There is plenty of decent lodging and dining options at Carrier Circle (off the Thruway).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

Thanks so much for the information. Since we were going to be doing so much hiking and outdoor activities during the day, I thought by staying in Syracuse we could have a bit of the city at night with some good food, culture and just a city atmosphere.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

I am wondering the same thing. My daughter who is 21 is planning a weekend trip to Syracuse with a girlfriend. I think they mentioned maybe staying at the Crowne Plaza but I read a few reviews that said it is in a "sketchy" neighborhood. Any suggestions of a place for two young girls to stay in the downtown area? Or is it better to stay on the outskirts, like Liverpool?

Mamaroneck, New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

Staying anywhere on the Hill (University) is a safe bet and would be enoyable for two college aged people

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

The Hampton Inn {Liverpool} would be a safe place to stay as well as the Candlewood Suites Airport. Anything located at the Carrier Circle would be fine. I believe you will fine the Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Double Tree. Don't go John Milton. If you can use google earth you can check them out thereThe Crowne is a nice hotel but the area isn't but it doesn't stop people from staying there.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

The immediate area around the Crowne Plaza is near the highway and mostly commercial. Your daughter and her friend would have to veer away from this area by several blocks to be in a sketchy area.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

I would suggest Homewood Suites located on North St. & Buckley Rd. I stayed there when I moved to Syr. It is a very safe area, it is very residesidential area. I believe there is a Double Tree on Buckley rd.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Liverpool and loved it. I guess they want to be able to go out for drinks somewhere downtown and be able to walk back to the hotel. They could also take a cab I suppose. I will let her know about these options.

Thanks for all the replies.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

I believe Tully's restaurant and bar is in walking distance from the Hampton Inn. Cab service is always a good idea.

10. Re: Safe areas of Syracuse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 07:17