We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train/hire car suggestions

Windsor, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
train/hire car suggestions

We're an English family travelling from NYC to Ithaca in early September, going on to the Niagara Falls and then returning to Boston, having started our holiday 7 days previously in Boston.

The transport planning is causing us some problems. We are happy to use the train from Boston to NYC, avoiding keeping a hire car in NYC.

We had originally planned to catch the train from NYC to Syracuse, collect a hire car in Syracuse, drive to Ithaca where we'll stay a few days, drive to Canadian side of Niagara, where we'll stay 1 night, return to US & drive back to Boston in the rental car we collected in Syracuse. Now I'm not sure if that's workable as a) I can't find any car rental places near the train station and b) the car rental places at the airport aren't keen on one way rental. Also, Is the airport easily accessible from the train station to collect the hire car?

If we rent the car in Boston, what would we do with it in NYC?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train/hire car suggestions

My suggestion is to take the train from Boston to NYC then from NYC to Syracuse. You can rent a car from Enterprise as they advertise that they will come pick you up, bring you back to the rental place so you can get your car. OR you could take a cab from the train station to the nearest rental place in Syracuse - which probably isn't far. Since you will be going out of the country with a rental car it might be costly for the car. Now driving from Canada to Boston is a LONG trip. Probably about 9 hours. You may want to consider breaking up the trip between Canada and Boston with a stop either back in Syracuse or Albany.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train/hire car suggestions

Your trip doesn't sound logical to me, though you may have left out a lot of details that would make it seem more logical. You claim you're starting in NYC. You need to remember that NYC is a huge city with 17 million people. JFK, for example, is 12 (city) miles from lower Manhattan. I have never flown out of JFK and probably never will. Last year, when I went to Paris I flew out of Toronto. The flight was Air Canada and better and cheaper than USAirways.

Most people who don't have a car take a bus from NYC directly to Ithaca. These are very nice buses. The ride is about 5 hours with a toilet on the bus. You just relax and read or sleep through the trip. At that point, you are within easy walking distance of the Enterprise car rental place or you can call them on your mobile and have them pick you up.

Niagara Falls is three hours (one way) from Ithaca. Back to Boston is, as the previous person mentioned, a LONG drive. New York State is a BIG state and you are proposing to travel from one end to the other and basically back again (Boston). It will be at least 1000 miles in driving. Gas here in Ithaca is $3.70 per gallon and going up.

You will be spending almost two days of your trip flying RT across The Pond. It seems a shame to me to spend so much more time driving down highways at 70 mph. Perhaps you should reassess and do a smaller area, spending more time in that area. I'm fairly certain NYC, the Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls will be here next year, so you can come back again. ;-)

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

3. Re: train/hire car suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Syracuse
Recent Conversations