We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birding sites near syracuse university

Lucknow, India
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
birding sites near syracuse university

i am interested in birding sites in and around syracuse university

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birding sites near syracuse university

This looks like a good resource: www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15729 It includes some great spots outside of Syracuse as well.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birding sites near syracuse university

Green Lakes Park is a great walk and gives plenty of spots for birding. You'd be looking at about a 20-25 minute drive east of downtown/university to get there. I see lots of birders at the Beaver Lake Nature Center which is west of the city - again, about a 20 minute drive. There is also the Noyes Sanctuary up on Lake Ontario near Oswego.

Not sure what time of year you will be there, but check out the Onondaga Audubon page at http://onondagaaudubon.com/ for listings of rare sightings and spring arrival dates.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birding sites near syracuse university

There is a large cemetary that adjoins the SU campus called Oakwood Cemetary. I would imagine it would be a good place to go birding. There is a large mall on the north side of Syracuse that adjoins Onondaga Lake. If you go to the parking lot, especially at dawn & dusk, you can see the resident bald eagles. It's easily accessible by city bus.

There are a couple of nature preserves called Baltimore Woods & Beaver Lake that are known for their birding if you have a car. Also Montzuma Swamp is a federal land preserve with both waterfowl & bald eagles.

Head over to ESF. I'm certain they would have lots of answers.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 19:22
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birding sites near syracuse university

the Lab and Sap Sucker Woods at Cornell University are world renowned. 11/4 hour tripThe.shore line of Lake Ontario have areas of great interest in spring and fall when hundreds of thousands of hawks, eagles etc. pass over in migration, The State and County parks are numerous.

5. Re: birding sites near syracuse university

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 07:16