We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Syracuse

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
11 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Syracuse

My son and I will be visiting in June. He is considering applying to Syracuse University and would like to see the campus. Any suggestions on the safest way to get there from Manhattan?

Thank you!

oswego,ny
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

Jeanine- i sent you a pm

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

I think you have 3 options - drive, train or fly. Each has their pros and cons, for sure. If you want to tour around the area and don't want to rent a car, then driving is your best option. This assumes that you own a car, of course - I know not everyone in the City does.

You mentioned "safe" - i think statistically flying is the safest way to travel, followed by the train, then the car.

The issue with flying is the total time involved - getting out to the airport in time to go through security and then wait around. That being said JetBlue flies direct to Syracuse out of JFK, which is quite a decent route.

The train you can get right from Penn Station, and you don't have to be there hours before. Disadvantage with the train is that it is often delayed, but if you allow enough time, i think that is probably the most hassle-free way of getting there. Sometimes you have to change in Albany but there are through trains.

You could also do services like Greyhound, I suppose, but you said safe - I never feel that safe on a Greyhound, I'm afraid.

How long would you have to get a feel for the area? If you have (or rent) a car, there are some really neat things to see in the surrounding areas, if you haven't been up this way before.

So, in summary - if you own a car, then that is going to be the cheapest. If you don't own one, then you could rent one there or here - depends on whether you feel comfortable doing the drive or not.

Overall, though, I would say that once you leave Manhattan, any route you take will be safe enough.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

There are some ways to get from the highway to the campus that pass through nicer areas and some that are less so. Best thing is to check out all the options to get a real feel for the area.

Any specific questions, feel free to message me. I'm pretty familiar with the area. :)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,759 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

Driving will take you 6 hours. The flight time on JetBlue is about 1 hour airport to airport & you will need to take a cab since there is no bus service into the city. I don't know about the train or bus but both will leave you off at the Intermodal Transportation Center on the north side of the city where you can pick up a city bus. I don't think it's a matter of safety but rather one of preference. I had a friend who always took the bus. I drive but, because of some physical issues, I don't like flying with having to go through TSA (I always get stopped, sometimes not in a friendly manner.)

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

Thank you for the helpful information. We are flying in to JFK from California so we will not have a car. Also, we are very limited on time. We would have to go and return to Manhattan on the same day. Someone suggested the MegaBus. I am considering going that route. Thank you again!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
406 posts
636 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

I hope you realize that Manhattan to Syracuse is about 250 miles, so to get there and back in a single day - no matter what the mode of travel - is a pretty good jaunt. While certainly possible, it will not leave much time to look around.

Megabus will get you there, and is inexpensive, but is about a 6 hour trip each way maybe leaving you a couple of hours to walk around near the bus station or take a taxi tour.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,759 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

I would fly but understand there is no bus service to & from the airport - you will need to take a taxi.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

If you're not locked in to your flights, I'd look into an "open jaw" ticket - one way from California to NYC, and then back from Syracuse (which will require a change of planes.) Open jaw tickets are typically half of the round trip fare to each city and this is much more efficient than trying to make a rushed round trip from New York and Syracuse. You'd just make a stop at Syracuse on your way back.

This is compatible with most of the options you've already been given for getting from NYC to Syracuse.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

I remember I took the bus, it was quite a long journey but it was OK.

10. Re: Traveling to Syracuse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Syracuse