We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organising 2 days in Dakhla

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Organising 2 days in Dakhla

I am not really sure how to organise my 2 days in Dakhla, how far are the sites like Al Qasr and Balat old towns from the main town?Do I need a car to visit all these places?

And I couldnt find any accom listed on booking.com. Any idea how to book with them?

And are there buses to Cairo on a daily basis?

6 replies to this topic
Cairo
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

Dear Ashwinbahulkar , The Oasis Dakhla Sahara is well known colloquially as the inner oasis and is one of the seven oases of Egypt’s Western Desert, Dakhla Oasis lies in the New Valley Governorate, 350 km from the Nile between the oases of Farafra and Kharga. It measures approximately 80 km from the west and 25 km from north to south.

Dakhla lives up to most visitors’ romantic expectations of oasis life, lush palm groves and orchards support traditional villages, where imposing, ancient mud brick forts still stand guard over the townships and allude to their less tranquil past.

At the center of the oasis lies the town of Mut, settled since Pharaonic times and was the god Amun’s consort

You can rent a jeep car for a full day to visit the sites you loves with average rate of 300 - 400 Egyptian pound , Have a nice time in Dakhla Oasis - Kemet Travel Egypt

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

Thanks, I am going for these forts, are they accessible fom the town? Or do you need a vehicle to get to these? And do you know about the bus which runs to Cairo?

Cairo
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

Dear Ashwinbahulkar ,Some sites are at the center of the Dakhla oasis such like Mut , the old town of Mut , hot springs of Mut and ethnographic museum , but Al Qasr is 150 km north of Dakhla oasis , so you you can rent a jeep car through your hotel accommodation to visit both of the Al Qasr , rock carvings , balat , bashendi and Sand Dunes as an adventure tour , Bus to Cairo could be arrange by Upper Egypt Bus Co or Herz Bus Co - Best Regards - Kemet Travel

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

"but Al Qasr is 150 km north of Dakhla oasis"

Surely not? According to my Lonely Planet Atlas, Al Qsar is only 30 km NNW of Mut.

ashwinbahulkar - as you appear to be trying to cover a lot of sites within Egypt on a tight budget,you would be well advised to learn precise timetables and transport costs before committing yourself to any outings or connections. Dakhla oasis is currently well off the usual well-trodden tourist trail and, while almost anything may be arranged to suit your convenience, such arrangements for an individual usually come at a price. Know - precisely - before you go.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 12:06
Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

I just have 4 days left after the nile valley, just wondering if it is worth the time. How would you compare this with Bahariyya oasis(the white and black deserts)?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organising 2 days in Dakhla

"I just have 4 days left after the nile valley, just wondering if it is worth the time."

It appears that your have 3 possible options:

1 spend more time in the Nile Valley, seeing the sites at a slightly more leisurely pace

2 travel from Luxor to Cairo via the Western Oases

3 visit Kharga from Luxor (if it is permissible - not always the case) and/or Bahariya and the White Desert from Cairo

The difficulty with option 2, I believe, is the transport between oases, coupled with fewer hours of daylight in the winter. A private car would prove expensive for a solo traveller on a tight budget.

"How would you compare this with Bahariyya oasis(the white and black deserts)?"

Depends on your interests - personally, I preferred the antiquities at Bawiti (painted tombs, small ruined temples and museum) and the White Desert is certainly very photogenic - others prefer the well-preserved mud brick Qsar, rock inscriptions and other sights at Dakhla.

Reply to: Organising 2 days in Dakhla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dakhla
Recent Conversations