We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

We are staying at the Grand Mauritian in November for our honeymoon yay! Are there many bars/restaurants in the surrounding area? Ive heard its quite expensive, while we are half board, we would like to try some of the local restaurants and bars. Any ideas? I cant find a lot on the internet about this area. Is it close enough to Grand Baie to get a taxi in and out?

Thank you!

Vava Voom
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,059 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Sorry there are no bars etc in the area around your hotel. Grand Baie is around a 20 minute drive from there.

You have small villages like Point aux Piments and Trou aux Biches closer though they are still a drive. Your best bet is to grab a taxi to Grand Baie or consider hiring a car for a few days, well worth it as you can do your own thing at your own pace.

Both Mazza and I use a local car hire company at Grand Baie, good cars, great service and very reliable and competitive. If you want the website/email address let us know.

Bronia :)

Edited: 04 October 2011, 16:48
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Ah that's a shame, the honeymoon was booked for us and I would have preferred to stay somewhere busier like Grand Baie. Yes if you could give us details of the hire company that would be great.

Thanks so much :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,059 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

The company is GBC Contract Cars based at Grand Baie next to the MCB bank.

Its cheaper if you hire over 3 days.

Website is

www.gbccar.mu

We are curently driving a Hyunadia Atos 1.2 litre from the company and have used them for years and always very happy with them.

Send them an email for a quote.

Best Wishes

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Many thanks, sorry for all the messages - i thought id try a few options!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,059 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Hey its your honeymoon ! No problems! You have to get it just right for that special occasion. Feel free to ask whatever you need to and we will all do our best to help if we can!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,874 posts
1,920 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Although the hotel is isolated, you are a short drive away from both Grand Baie and Port Louis. Useful if you are going to hire a car.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,157 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

Ask away, as Bronia says it's your honeymoon and you want all the information available.

A hire car could be just what you need as it's a 20 minute drive into Grand Baie if you wish to do that in an evening. I wouldn't recommend going into Port Louis at night though.

I can't speak too highly of the car hire company, GBC Contract Cars, that Bronia and I have used.

Mazza :-)

8. Re: Balaclava, Mauritius - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Balaclava