We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Medication

Which Balaclava hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription Medication

Hi, I see this was asked a couple of years ago, but I just wanted to check that it is still current.

I take several prescription drugs which I will have with me as well the 'usual' holiday first aid box which will have paracetamol, savlon - that sort of thing. I do have some prescription stuff that is needed as and when, and again that would be packed in hold luggage. What is the best advice on that stuff. My normal way of packing is just to keep the stuff I would need for the journey in hand luggage - eg. inhalers and HRT and pack the rest in hold luggage. Should I carry it all in hand luggage?

I will ask my GP for a copy of my prescription to cover that stuff. But what should I do about the non prescription stuff. Is it OK to have just unopened boxes?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Medication

Don't worry about paracetamol and other non-prescription items - you can buy them here in local pharmacies, no problem.

We travel with all sorts of prescribed meds.

Its a good idea to ask for a copy of the prescription but not vital IME - the green tear off bit of your script should be OK. I've even used it to get meds from my local pharmacy in Mauritius.

One thing I would advise is to carry all your meds in your hand luggage in case your checked luggage encounters a mishap and you find yourself minus drugs for the first day or so (though no problems if you have the green bit)

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Medication

I agree with Bronia, don't pack any essential medicines in your hold luggage, as for savlon etc if that goes missing I am sure you can get the same or similar in shops there.

Deb

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Medication

I take a first aid box because you can always guarantee needing a headache tablet at a stupid time of night

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Medication

We also take a bag of medication to cover all ills but it's always in our hand luggage. Antiseptic creams etc. are packed in the suitcases.

5. Re: Prescription Medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Balaclava