We are travelling to Mauritius next week for a two-week stay at the Shandrani hotel and I wondered if anyone could answer a few questions for me please.
1. We like to take a couple of bottles of alcohol to have in the room and wondered about the best place to purchase it. We are flying from Manchester with Emirates via Dubai. Will we be able to take the bottles through if we buy in Manchester or do we have to go through security again in Dubai where it might get confiscated?
2. Would it be better to buy in Dubai anyway (price)?
3. What about purchasing perfume / aftershave? Is there the same problem?
4. Would we be better to buy Mauritian currency when we arrive at the airport in Mauritius and, if so, should we use sterling cash rather than travellers cheques?
5. Does anyone have advice with regard to tipping staff at the hotel? Are tips expected by all (as in some destinations) or is it more appropriate to simply tip when we feel that the service was exceptional? What about bedroom staff?
6. Does anyone know if there is WiFi in the rooms? I would like to take my laptop just to keep in touch with family whilst away but don't want to bother carrying it out there if I won't be able to use it in the room!
7. I have the potential for severe medical problems if bitten on my legs by mossies (or any other biting bugs!) I'm quite happy to cover up with trousers in the evenings as a precaution but wondered if any of the restaurants or bars were fully inside with air-con so I could perhaps wear a dress or crops occasionally without worrying!! Or is it necessary to walk very far outside to reach the restaurants anyway?
So sorry - this is quite a list!
Thank you in anticipation.