We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

w.mids
Level Contributor
437 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

hi;

going to the shandrani hotel which is part of the beachcomber group for two weeks.

i've heard it said that you might be offered a "break" at another beachcomber group and I'm curious to know if anyone has done this as I am aware that they have other hotels on the west side of the island which might have interesting possibilities e.g. sightseeing/snorkelling.

Does anyone have any experience of this that they can share?

some of the hotels are a/i like shandrani,some are not but they all seem to be as good (actually, better) as shandrani if you go by tripadvisor rankings rather than price!

just wondering whether a visit to the west coast would be worthwhile, if.....

Totof Maurice
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
La Criee Ltee
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Bonobo Ltd
Speed Boats Tours
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

Generally I don't think changing hotels during your stay is a great idea as you waste a day packing up and moving. Mauritius is small enough to explore from anywhere on the island.

You won't get the same quality AI package at any of the other Beachcomber hotels.

London
Level Contributor
536 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

We looked into it when we were there and it is tempting, once you've paid for your travel between resorts and accounted for the fact you'll only be on (I think) at best half board at the other resorts, we did not think it was really worthwhile, esp when you're going to waste a half day of your holiday in effect commuting, checking out/ in etc...

I would certainly look into it but consider the costs, you've paid for AI at Shandrani, a bottle of wine at Dinarobin etc alone is likely to set you back 40-50 EUR or so, lunch the same for a couple. We worked out that for us we'd end up spending 3-400 EUR more for losing half a days holiday, having to pack, unpack an extra time etc etc.

w.mids
Level Contributor
437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

thanks for your comments, just thought that it might be another way to see other parts of the island, but can definitely see your logic!

London
Level Contributor
536 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

If you want to see more of the island It may be much mor cost effective to spend the time you'd spend moving resorts on a tour instead, it will me much cheaper and you will see much more

It is veyr tempting to experience another resort too, so I guess it depends on where your priorities lie

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,059 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

If you're really set on moving and you can, the look at the 5* Trou aux Biches in the north west - it was rebuilt from scratch and reopened fully just last year. I havent stayed but looked around just after it reopened.

No AI there however, just FB with drinks included with dinner.

beachcomber-hotels.com/hotel/trou-aux-biches…

w.mids
Level Contributor
437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

thanks for all the advice; I won't disregard it entirely but see what's on offer and if I want a break from plane-spotting!

7. Re: shandrani hotel; hotel swaps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26