We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Which Grand Baie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

We have stayed at the Veranda hotel and were a bit disapointed with the room...seemed small and dark. Our friends had a much larger room with a kitchette and they were very happy. The food at dinner was sometimes a bit disapointing. We loved the location though. Now we are going back in September and want to know what the sister hotel..Paul et Virginie is like...is it far out? Also the Coin de Mire. They are less stars but someone said they preferred them. Glad to hear from anyone who has stayed

Thanks

Boondy

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Hi

We have booked the coin de mire based on the reports and feedback on this site,also it is only a short ride by bus or water taxi from Grand Baie.

We were going to book the Veranda,but it seemed to have a few more negative reports. I was advised to book a superior room at the Coin,when we booked my travel agency were giving a free upgrade.

On the star rating a number have said that it should be rated as a 3* not a 2*.

Paul et Virginie is more remote and the reports have been a bit negitive recently also the beach is not what we would expect for a dream location.

If you log onto www.mercurydirect.co.uk they have videos of both hotels,this may help with your choice.

Regards

John

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Sorry Boondy it is Mercurydirect.com.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Stayed at both coin de mire and paul et virginie past two years. I have seen the verandah and didnt like its layout; it also seemed dull and dark. Paul et Virginie is pretty far out. We had superior room, but compared with superior room at coin the former we thought dark with poor lighting, whereas the coin was much brighter, airy and lighting much brighter. Gardens at coin larger and spaced out, and bus to grand Bay stops frequently just outside hotel. Although Paul et Virginie rated 3 star we think coin, rated at 2 star, deserves 3 star, as its as good if not better. Although the brochures say theres a gym at Paul there isnt, but there is a small one at the Coin. Personally prefer coin to Paul et Virginie. Book through Mercury Direct; I think they have an offer on at the moment for the coin. Good luck. We are returning to coin in May, by the way!

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

You are right about the offer,could have saved £300 if i waited. Although with current offer i would have had to pay for superior room.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Hi Sapper,

See you at Coin de Mire in May. Cant wait.

Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Thankyou all very much for info. I think the Coin is the way to go. We are in Australia so have not used Mercury Direct but have followed up on Website. Enjoy all of you and let us know how your holiday went on your return

Boondy

australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Hi all, we have also chosen the coin de mire from comments here, originally booked at the Verandah but changed after checking up . Chose a superior and arrive on 28th may for a week. May catch up with some of you over there, Going to U.K., Portugal and Spain for 6 weeks, and having a week in Mauritius as the flight hame to Australia takes the glow off your holiday. ANyone know if mosquitoes are a problem? Toni and Gus

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

They fog the hotel gardens, which helps keep the mosquito count down. Used to get the odd bite, but not last year, because of fogging. There was a problem last year in summer with a mos which carried a virus called chikungunya (spelt wrong I think) so the hotels take mos control very seriously now. Hardly any other insects either, for that matter, except ants.

australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Thanks Bronia, very used to grounds being fogged, been to Bali 30+times and fogging is a regular thing. We are going on half board, I assume that is a full breakfast and dinner in the evening. Does it include any alcohol, or do we pay for that? also what local stuff do they have and how expensive is it compared to imported drinks, very fond of a good red wine, TLhanks Toni

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paul et Virginie Hotel/Coin de Mire

Half board means breakfast and dinner. Drinks are extra. Wine and drinks are relatively expensive by Australian standards, but you can get bottles of good red and white wines, including australian I think, at the huge Super U supermarket, which is five minutes driving distance, or you can get the bus outside the hotel, or a taxi, fairly cheaply as Grand Baie is quite close by. See you there. Best wishes

Bronia

Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations