We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Hello,

I am planning stay 12 nights in Grand Baie, Mauritius. What type of accommodation should I look for? If I book a hotel which provides free breakfast every morning but no kitchenette, would it be economical? How much is the fast food (hot food) prices and options for dinner in this area?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Milind

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

There are many different types of accommodation available in Grand Baie and the surrounding areas. You can either go to a conventional hotel which offers half board (dinner, bed and breakfast) or All Inclusive (all meals and a selection of drinks), or you could do self catering which will allow you to buy your own groceries and prepare meals yourself or eat out for some meals. There are a huge variety of local restaurants ranging from street food, to fast food, to very upmarket places with prices to match. On average groceries will probably come out at more or less the same as Australia with some things being cheaper and others more expensive.

Most hotels which offer meals won't have self catering facilities in their rooms. I can think of one offhand which does offer a kitchenette - Casuarina resort. Have a look at their website. www.hotel-casuarina.com/index.php…

Regards

Dee

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,430 posts
2,104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Grand Baie has 2-5 star hotels, self catering apartments to villa rentals.

There are a host of eating options ranging from street food by the beach, fast food (Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC) to restaurants.

Fast food prices are similar to UK prices,

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,230 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Hi,

Food courts at Super U and La Croisette have lots of places to eat and also good take aways from places like Inter Mart and Super U's O'Cafe.

Nandos, McDs KFC Pizza Hut Steers etc prices are similar to the UK.

If you want nice fries try Belgian fries next to Belgian waffles and KFC at La Croisette Mall. Also the café at Foodlovers Market at LC does some lovely toasted sandwiches and other snacks.

An example of prices is 151MUR for a zinger meal at KFC and 70MUR for Belgian fries.

Also decent restaurants around Grand Baie - expect to pay around MUR260-280 for a pizza and around MUR400 for a main meat course.

A decent wine should be around 600MUR.

See this website:

www.restaurants.mu

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie La Croisette
Grand Baie La Croisette
521 Reviews
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Most hotels offer Half Board as they are located some distance from restaurants, shops etc.

Based on my last trip to Australia a couple of years or so ago, you won't find Mauritius expensive for eating out.

Mazza :-)

Edited: 13 May 2013, 18:28
Mentioned in this post
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

I beg to differ on the cost of eating out - I am working my way through the high rated restaurants on TA and 8/10 drinks and 2 courses seems to be costing on average 4000 MUR £80 - most we paid so far is 4,700 MUR

I say expensive and have yet to find a cheaper place that is not fast food joint

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Thatl be the drinks pushing the price up then i would imagine

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

That would be the drinks pushing the price up then no doubt i would have thought went to le captains had a huge prawn curry each and two drinks oh a starter each as well only came to about 2600

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Thatl be the drinks pushing the price up then i would imagine

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions and information.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation and hot food suggestions in Grand Baie

It will be the drinks for sure, based on 8 - 10, way more than the two of us would have. I wasn't even thinking about fast food places and I don't use them. But as I said compared to Australia (where OP lives and therefore relevant), which is not a cheap place to eat out these days and certainly here in UK at nice restaurants, it's still a better deal.

Mazza :-)

Edited: 21 May 2013, 07:44
Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie