We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at the st regis

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at the st regis

Hi

We are visiting the st regis next April with our two kids who will be two years and four years old. I've read reviews that suggest the beaches can be rough and you may need to wear shoes on the beach or to enter the sea? Obviously this is particularly concerning for our kids. Any previous visitors or residents who can help advise? One of the biggest attractions to Mauritius is the beach so hoping this isn't going to be an issue. Thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
1,791 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at the st regis

Mauritius is surrounded by natural coral which is also protected and its swept in by the sea. I have been to Flic en Flac beach and of course there is likely to be coral hence why people recommend beach shoes or flip flops.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at the st regis

St Regis used to be the old Berjaya Le Morne and has a nice beach but coral can be a problem on all the beaches in Mauritius and perhaps best to wear beach shoes.

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at the st regis

Thanks for the response. Is that the same for all beaches? For example would the beach at the one and only be much sandier and not require shoes or flip flops

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at the st regis

As the reef surrounds the entire island most beaches have a certain amount of broken coral on them so err on the side of caution and take beach shoes or flip flops for your little ones. The worst coral is usually as the waters edge. Of course the upside of the reef is that there are no waves breaking on the shore - just gentle warm water to wallow in!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,906 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at the st regis

I've searched all over the island but I'm yet to find a beach in Mauritius without any broken coral where I'd let a child/toddler run about without beach shoes. I've seen hotels clearing the waters edge first thing in the morning but the tide will bring in more coral during the day and is still there in the shallow water. Better to be safe than sorry, it can hurt little feet.

6. Re: Beach at the st regis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Le Morne
Recent Conversations