We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casaurina AI

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Casaurina AI

Hi,

Been back from Mauritius about two weeks and thinking of booking the Casaurina AI for two weeks next May with 1 week free. Have not stayed here for quite a while, though did take some people down there two weeks ago. my question concerns the reviews on TA. Exactly what does their AI include, and is it true they lock the mini bar, and are you allowed to put your own stuff, i.e. wine in fridge? Seems conflicting reports on reviews. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Bronia

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Casaurina AI

Hi Bronia

this will be 1st time in Mauritius

We are heading to the casuarina next thursday for 10 days with Mercury Direct. A little worried that the last few reviews seemed less good but too late now.

Before we booked I emailed Mercury about the AI. Here is what they wrote back -

I have just spoken to my manager who has visited this hotel and advised me of the following.

The rooms that we use are of a deluxe standard so that is what you would have viewed online. These are our standard rooms. There is no upgrade on that room type.

The all inclusive will include soft drinks such as coke, lemonade, fanta, water etc. Locally produced alcoholic drinks are included. There is a choice of about six or seven cocktails that are included in the package. Others will be at a supplement as they will include imported spirits. Time stipulations will apply. They are usaually from 11 to 11 or 12 till 12. Snacks are included.

There will be snorkelling equipment provided.

Will write review on return

Alison

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casaurina AI

Hi Alison, Thanks for your reply. Did they mention wine with dinner? And I was wondering if minibar included. Am thinking about it, and in contact with them by email.

Best wishes

Bronia

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Casaurina AI

Bronia

No mention of wine with dinner but if drinks available from 11 to 11 then I would assume that includes dinner, I hope so! Have no idea about mini bar

Are you in touch with mercury or the hotel as I have been unsuccessfully looking for an email address for the hotel. If you have hotel contacts perhaps you can post it

Regards Alison

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casaurina AI

Hi Alison,

No, don't have email for hotel. In contact with Mercury, basically thier free week offer, which seems to be true. Keeping fingers crossed. Have a great trip. I do know the hotel, it is very pretty on the outside, but not seen a room, although swimming pools and public areas look really lovely. Small beach across road with sunbeds and parasols. Area very convenient to Grand Baie and Choissy beach, which is lovely. Trois aux Biches (sp) also ajoins casaurinas beach, and its lovely.

Have a really lovely time, and if you want to know anything about Mauritius let me know!

Best wishes

Bronia

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casaurina AI

Alison,

Have been in contact with Mercury and minibar is not in AI. There are no tea making facilities, and you have to pay a deposit for the safe. They do have hairdryers. rooms refurbished about 4 years ago. Other than these niggles it seems OK. Please write a review on your return, as we decided to go ahead and book, with a free extra week.

Have a good time

Bronia

UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Casaurina AI

Hello,

We are just back from Mauritius which was a honeymoon trip. We had booked a room in Casaurina hotel on Trou Aux Biches through one of our travel agents. I must say that we are really disappointed by Casaurina hotel staff.

To start off, we had made the booking much in advance, about 3 months prior to our trip. However, on arrival, the hotel staff (the one named Antelle) informed us that there was some water problem in our room (LOL!!) and so they have transferred us to some other hotel for 3 days! After a long journey from half way across the globe, that was the last thing we wanted to hear. It was very obvious that the hotel was overbooked and she was simply lying. Also, we had several other plans which would not have allowed us to shift from hotel to another (pack and unpack our staff) during the week. So, we insisted that we will stay only in ONE hotel during our stay. We did not want to shift hotels. After a long argument and several phone calls to the hotel, we decided to shift to Coral Mont Choisy hotel which is near to Casaurina.

We do understand that the hotels do get overbooked sometimes especially during peak season. But what pissed us off was the rudeness of the staff. There was a guy, probably the manager, who was roaming with a walkie-talkie. He was very rude. He is not even fit to be in a hospitality industry. In fact, the entire staff was rude. If they were overbooked, they should have informed us earlier over phone or email. Water problem??!! Jeez! A four star hotel having water problem which can't be repaired for four days??!! That itself says how good that hotel is. The entire episode spoilt our mood.

Also, I must add here that our stay in Coralia Mont Choisy was really good. We were really happy with everything in Coralia. The staff was very courteous. (Totally in contrast with Casaurina). Food was good. Their beaches are simply amazing.

So, if you are planning to stay in Casaurina hotel in Mauritius, I would suggest you first confirm if you really have an accommodation available. And be prepared to face the rudeness of the staff.

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Casaurina AI

Hello Angelina

We were at the Casuarina july 6th to 16th and had requested one of our 3 rooms for late check out as return flight not untill 11.30 pm. They were unable to let us keep a room as they were overbooked for at least 4 nights and were all getting a bit stressed about it. These may have been the dates of your arrival.

You obviously had an unpleasant experience with the staff (I had been a bit worried about that from reading reveiws before we left) but we found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

What a shame your special holiday was spoiled.

Alison

Stockholm
Level Contributor
177 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casaurina AI

Alison,

Would be interested in hearing more about your stay at Casuarina. Considering going there in early December with husband and child age 6. We love swimming and snorkelling, good food and drinks, but no late night partying. Hate strong wind.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casaurina AI

Have you read Alisons comprehensive and very informative review of the hotel on TA?

She says a lot about the diving.

Casaurina is on the west and does not get any wind, as it is in a sheltered area too. We are staying next May, and I was there recently showing friends around the public areas, which are lovely.

Two lovely swimming pools, tennis courts, spa etc.

Bus stop nearby to Grand Baie and town.

Beach, though across road is good, and adjoins Trou aux Biches and Choisy is to its north.

Most people seem happy with their rooms, as I had pms from a few people who stayed there recently, and on the whole they had no complaints.

I have stayed in various hotels and self catering in Mauritius, and my very first hotel, way back when the BA planes were literally empty, was the Casaurina. Back then it was just the self catering bungalows though!

Entertainment apparently low key and not for the lively, which suits most people.

Best wishes

Bronia

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Casaurina AI

Tjongo

As bronia says I wrote a long hotel review which you will find if you look at Trou aux biches hotels. We found the snorkling to be less good than our only other experience in the caribbean but others at the hotel were happy. The hotels glass bottomed boat takes you out to the reef twice a day and waits around whilst you snorkle. We only snorkelled once as the family started diving which they preferred.

The hotel has 2 nice pools and the beach has a roped off area for swimming though you can swim wherever you like but do need to be aware of the watersports and keep out of the way. If you have any specific questions you can send me a private message through this site. Happy Holidays

Alison