We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Hi

Our first visit to Mauritius and we're staying at the Casuarina.

One of us will be celebrating a birthday whilst there. Is the a la carte restaurant recommended? Any idea of cost? Anywhere else we should try for a special evening? Does the hotel have a premium wine list?

I gather beach shoes are a good idea. Anywhere other than hotel beach for a good swim in the sea? Is it possible to walk to Mont Choisy beach along the sand, and how long would it take? What about a walk in the other direction - any beach bars to head for?

I've also read its a good idea to take our own, additional, beach towels, and to clarify what's AI before we go. Our schedule lists tea/coffee/water as included, but not necessarily in the rooms so I guess this could have caused confusion in the past.

Any other hints or tips about the hotel or the area in general to get our holiday off to a good start much appreciated!

Many thanks

Cheers 💝

Edited: 16 June 2013, 14:47
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,874 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Exchange rate at Shibani is a shade over 47 MUR to the GBP, risen slightly since we arrived.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Thanks Wendy

Not only for this useful info, but also all your restaurant/shopping reviews that I've read too. Very impressed with your 10 pairs of pants - so that's what to do with the 30kg Emirates luggage allowance - I may have to buy a larger case!

All great reading and much appreciated.

Cheers 💝

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Well, pants don't weigh much...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Hi

So I think I've figured the water in the rooms scenario now - filtered water carafes available from the bar, but bottled water in room fridges charged as extra to AI package (similar to Goa hotels). Still not quite sure tho if a limited visit to the a la carte is included, or always charged as extra?

Reserved our flight seats and really looking forward to the Emirates experience - even if we are in economy!

Just wonder if anyone has any room recommendations. I know requests can't be guaranteed, but are any blocks of rooms preferable for view/accessibility/peace?

Many thanks.

Cheers 💝

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,454 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

That's a bit much charging for bottled water in the AI!

When we did the AI we used to be able to go to the bar for bottled water and they didn't have carafes.

You could ask for rooms facing the sea or near the water features?

But beware of the frog chorus when rain's due - they create quite a racket!

We had a room overlooking one of the bridges and water features - not a sea view but it was a good peaceful location.

Have a good flight with EK and a lovely time at Casuarina

Bronia :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

I've heard that, even in economy, you get a comfort pack on Emirates flights. Anyone know what it contains please? Don't want to double up on my carry on if its not necessary.

Complimentary drinks included too?

Many thanks, again!

Cheers 💝

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,874 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Yes all drinks except champagne are complimentary on Emirates. Comfort pack? only had them in business class, really nice Bvlgari. Also on an overnight Dubai to Sydney on the A380, rather less plush contained only socks, toothbrush/paste and eye mask. Everyone gets a blanket and pillow.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,454 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Like Maz only ever got comfort packs in business class with EK - nothing in economy but you can ask for toothbrush/paste/eyeshades/nail file/comb and they will provide :)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,874 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Oh yes Eyeshades. My husband always takes his own (issued on previous flights) as the spraying on the plane in and out of Mauritius affects his eyes. Just thought I'd mention that as flew only yesterday and reminded of it. I and most others are fine with this - they do give you two minutes warning!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Help with Casuarina Hotel questions please

Thanks each.

Really looking forward to the holiday overall, but I must admit I'm hoping to have a better travelling experience with Emirates than I have of late with the usual tour operators.

Stay tuned please!

Much appreciated.

Cheers 💝