We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Dear friends,

We are going to Maurtius mid May. We want to stay in two areas, Le Morne to explore that part of the island and do the trip of swimming next to the dolphins and then we want to head north west to more lively destinations. I wanted initially to stay in Grand Baie to experience the buzz of restaurants and bars at night but I also want to stay in a really nice beach for swimming snorkeling. Then I learnt that Grand Baie does not offer a nice beach due to all the boats. I was thinking then of Trou aux BIches. How far is Trou aux Biches to Grand Baie by car? Also can you recommend me a beach on that area where I can stay in a hotel and then be able to explore the village for a few nice bars and restaurants? We do not want to eat in hotels. Thanks so much in advance for your appreciated recommendations.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,552 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Trou aux Biches is a 15 minute drive to Grand Baie by car.

One lovely hotel I can recommend there is Beachcomber's 5* Trou aux Biches itself.

Good location with the local village on your doorstep - restaurants, shops and even a well stocked small supermarket Chez Popos.

Bus stop outside.

Good beach, lovely accommodation and facilities.

It was rebuilt from scratch and only reopened in the last year.

beachcomber-hotels.com/hotel/trou-aux-biches…

Worth a look!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,002 posts
1,791 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Two other good hotels are Oberoi and Maritim but about 20 mins by car to Grand Baie and 20 mins to Port Louis by car as well.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,552 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Problem with the Maritim and Oberoi is they have no shops or restaurants etc close by - unlike Trou aux Biches which is a residential village.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Thanks for your nice recommendations. How nice are the villages where these hotels are located. Also could you please recommend me cheaper hotels. These hotels mentioned have a lot of facilities (spa, tennis, gym, restaurants...) that we will not be using therefore we do not wish to pay for. Thanks again, your comments are fully appreciated.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Have a look at Merwille Beach in Grand Bay. It's a 3 star on a lovely beach. Look at the bungalows in the gardens rather than the hotel block.

luxresorts.com/en/…merville-beach-grand-baie

It's in Grand Baie village but not in the bay itself (hope that makes sense) - it's on the northern tip looking out towards the islands. During the day you could walk into the centre of town but at night I'd use a taxi as the street lighting isn't great and there aren't proper side walks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

yes, yes very important we want to stay in a nice beach but with the option of having some bars and restaurants so we can explore the local cuisine. Is trou aux biches a nice looking village, I only see pictures of the beach, which is amazing, but I do not get to see the town. So my dilema is to stay either in Trou aux biches or Grand baie. Thanks for helping, and thanks for the advice so far.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,552 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Trou aux Biches is a residential village with all ameneties as I said before - a lot of expats live here.

Hotels are on the main coastal road which is why you don't get to see pictures!

Everything is within walking distance - its a good location.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

I don't recall any particular picturesque villages or town - I'd describe those we've seen as functional, rather than pretty. Port Louis has a few nice buildings but main interest is to experience the capital, take a stroll along the waterfront development. Countryside is lovely though.

Unless things have changed since we last went ...

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,906 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Mauritius has changed a lot in the past few years with the road improvements and shopping mall developments.

It's villages have a charm all of their own and I love them. We keep away from Port Louis these days.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A nice beach hotel not far from Grand Baie

Agree with you, Maz. Port Louis is just another big, busy city. We went to Cauden Waterfront on our first visit but not again - it's much the same as any other large city! I'll stick to the seaside villages like Grand Baie which are lovely - full of Mauritian charm.