We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips, tips and more tips.

uk
Level Contributor
90 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tips, tips and more tips.

Hi everyone

Just come back from my 2nd trip to the island and decided to give some feedback.

Now if you want to go to 1 of the big hotels and spend a few £1000 each this may not be for you, just 1 warning all the beaches are PUBLIC even the residence, Beua rivage etc etc. So when i am laying on the beach next to you looking smug er..... tough.

Now seriously you dont need to spend this obscene amount on accomodation just to get your head down or get petals in your bath. Dont forget this money doesnt go to the locals who are on an average wage of about £25 pw. There are fabulous place all over the island, mind you there are dumps aswell so look on the forums and ask question.

If you want to do trips go and see Mick at tropical dreams , flic en flac. This guy is absolutely brilliant I consider him a friend now he is genuine and honest and best of all (sorry Mick) cheap!!! Best deals on the island. eg trip to Ill aux Cerfs with transport (from flic) lunch etc 0nly 800mru everywhere else 1500. Even at Trou-d'Eau-Douce they charge 900 and thats with the boatmen! During Cyclone gamii..... whatever, he even made sure i got all details for my return flight. Great bloke however he can talk, told my wife I was only going to be 10 minutes walked into his office for 1st time and 2 hours gone like that. Great bloke. His email is tropicdream@intnet.mu

phone Office….. (230) 453 8480 Mobiles….. ( 230) 764 0329 & (230) 737 0177

We stayed in Trou-d'Eau-Douce and the place is called Cilaos beach www.beach-bungalows.mu, Sarah runs the office side. Honestly its brilliant, its not a 5 star but nice and superb location.

This place opens onto the beach and is absolutely stunning give it a look it really is that good. The east side is Quieter ie no discos etc but if you want relaxation and decent food this side in my opinion is the best. I will be adding to this and hope its of use if you need info just let me know.

This side of the island is quiet but i believe the best, I have been to 3 sides of the island now and Grand bay and flic are getting a bit like Benidorm at the weekends! But hey you make your own mind up.

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Hi tazo101

Thanks for the post. I have saved it so I can refer to it for Mick's details - he sounds good. We have decided to stay in Pereybere and happy with the decision (so far!) as it will be winter and I think the east would be too windy. We have 1 night in Mahebourg so will be able to compare I guess. We are staying at the Hibiscus which I don't think it part of a chain so hopefully locally owned. Anyway thanks for the tips. I hope you do add to them.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Hi Tazo101,

You might just be just the person I'm looking for to give me some sensible British advice!!

We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary next Summer and want to go somewhere special to renew our vows (as our 1st wedding was slightly low key due to personal circumstances)

Although we want to go somewhere exotic and scenic, we are not made of money as our 2 daughters take up most of our excess savings!! Having said that, we do not want a B&B somewhere with basic facilites and can afford somewhere slightly more luxurious,without spending an obscene amount of money. We do not wish to be waited on hand and foot with people bowing and scraping to our every wish, but a beach front romantic setting with a lovely pool, air con and not too far off the beaten track are a must. Plenty to do and see in the area and safety outside of the hotel are paramount, as we like to get 'off campus' when we can!

Mauritius is one of our top favourites as is Thailand, Sri Lanka and possibly Mexico, but we are in a dilemna as to where to plump for. We are mid 40's, but still 30's in our mind so don't want to end up in a ' quiet old peoples home' full of rich Americans moaning about everything under the sun and how the USA is so much better.. blah blah blah.. had a basin full of that in Jamaica recently and it totally spoilt our hols.

As you seem very familiar with the Island, can you give us any pointers in the right direction and whether you think this destination would be suitable for the type of holiday/ceremony we are planning ?? Also estimated costs in UK£'s of what to expect to pay for stuff so we can get a 'budget' going?

Cheers in advance,

uk
Level Contributor
90 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Hi

Dont mind at all.

The place we stayed at in Trou-d'Eau-Douce , Cilaos beach, I absolutely loved. However it does not have air conditioning or a pool. Now I would say because its on the east side its got the wind, meaning its nice and cool also no MOZZIES. Also outside you have the most spectacular view and beach to swim in. The rooms are really great but not exceptional luxury.

As to the budget its so cheap once you are there I wouldnt worry about money. To eat out in some of the best places i have eaten in, is really cheap for 2adults 2 kids you are looking at about £20!

There is another great forum aimed at people who, how can I say it, are not as stuck up as on this site.

www.info-mauritius.com/forum/portal.php

If you need more info let me know.

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Tazo101, no need to criticise other people on the site. You don't know any of us, and we're not all the same.

Cazp, the Hibiscus Beach Resort where we're staying may be OK for you. Coin de mire also gets great reviews, and I have heard good things about Le Sakoa.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Hi Cazp

We went to Mauritius last year in March 2006 for the first time. We could not afford any of the luxury expensive hotels, but got a good deal for 18 nights at the Coin de Mire hotel. Lovely setting and bus stop just along road. The beach is the other side of the road, but only a narrow strip, however we hired a car for a week and travelled round most of the island. We did also walk into Grand Baie a couple of times from hotel which took about an hour. We felt very safe on the island. If you are going in the summer then check weather as the North and West coasts have better weather. Mercury Direct have good prices. We used a company called Paramount-Travel who also gave us a good price their email address is param@paramount-travel.co.uk or website is www.paramount-travel.co.uk, ask for Nicola, company is a family run conern.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,509 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Coin de mire on the north of the island is relatively cheap and in beautiful gardens with 2 swimming pools. The Paul at Virginie is slightly more expensive, but 3 star. Been to both, and many other places on the island. Visited Mauritius for past 20 years, and have relatives there. Going back to Coin this May, as impressed with it last time. Some 4 and 5 star hotels charge obscene amounts I agree, and they can get away with it. Have done most of the island, and believe me the coin is a bargain. Check it out on tripadvisor hotel review website if you dont believe me. 99% of people who stay love it. Mercury Direct is a good place to book, and they have an offer on at the moment.Cheers.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Forgot to also add that we also went to Sri Lanka a few years ago and loved it. It is a beautiful island with really friendly people. We stayed at The Bayroo Hotel in Beruwela, they were refurbishing so not sure is still available after Tsunami, however along that coast is a great place to stay. We saw a wedding at our hotel whilst we were there and it was really lovely, they also had an elephant at the ceremony and it was all handled really tastefully. Sri Lanka is not too expensive to stay either. Not sure what weather is like in summer in Stri Lanka, you need to check this out.

uk
Level Contributor
90 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Penny

Not trying to have a go at anyone, all i was trying to say that this forum is mainly aimed at people who want to go the big resorts and spend loads of money. I was pointing out another forum that may help point people in a different direction. Maybe should not have used that expression, but have had experience with others on this site and a lot are well a bit you know....... snobby. See didnt use the tt this time.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,509 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

Taz

Have visited the site you suggest and it looks outdated and not very informative. Yes, there are people on this forum who spend a lot of money, but equally it is used by others like myself who visit Mauritius frequently, and have relatives over there. It is used by people from all walks of life. I agree that some do tend to advertise how well off they are, but if they want to waste their money, thinking they will get better experience (when they wont) then its their cash Some 2 or 3 stars are much nicer than the big chains like beachcomber, but you cant tell people that; they wont believe you!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips, tips and more tips.

tazo101

next time we go to Mauritius we would like to do self catering, however sometimes the packages with half board at place like Coin de Mire work our cheaper than booking flight seperately, which may be why most people do a package. How much did you pay for your flights and where did you get them from. We have been to caribbean several times and always book our flights and accom. ourselves and get cheap deals, so would love to do same in Mauritius.

Get answers to your questions about Trou d'eau Douce