We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

We`re thinking of visiting Tanzania next year, still at the planning stage, but we`d like to do a safari including Arusha NP, Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Lake Ndutu, Ngorongoro and Tarangire and then on to Zanzibar.

We have read people mentioning the cultural village, called Mto wa Mbu, close to Lake Manyara. Can anyone tell us what it`s like, what to expect and is it worth a visit?

Annika&Peter

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

Annika and Peter... It's a typical small village in Tanzania. Here if you get out of the vehicle you can visit the local market, mingle with the locals, eat at the local restaurants, visit a school, etc. I think there's places there which will have some carvings for sale and things like that which people like to take home with them.

The people of Tanzania are the best part of a safari there, and stopping to see the people as well as the animals is always a treat. I would do it if I were you.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

Unlike the small Masai Manyattas which many feel are too touristy, Mto-wa-Mbu is an ethnically diverse community where you can take an actual tour (for fee) or just do a walk-about with your guide, leisurely and for as long or short a time as you wish - 15/min or 2/hrs... your choice. Then move on to your next stop.

Since much of safari has you in a vehicle, it's nice to be able to stretch your legs and walk about.

Houston
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

Your agent can offer a few different activities around this region - you can visit a primary or secondary school, orphanage or a local home and get a feel of how rural Tanzanians live.

A different perspective from a Safari and will add value to your Safari and broaden your view of Tanzania whether you like what you see or for some who don't like what they see. Either way, you have experienced something different.

I know people who now have established relationships and send supplies to the schools and orphanages.

Mefi

4. Re: Mto wa Mbu, worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Lake Manyara National...