We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Has anyone out there done a night game drive or microlight flight in Lake Manayara? If so, where do you make the arrangements? The Serena Safari Lodge? Do you book through Green Footprint?How much were they? How much lead time do you need? Were they worth it?

Sincerely,

Cheryl

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Hi Cheryl:

Last month my husband, our 18 year old daughter and myself did the night game drive in Lake Manyara, and we really enjoyed it. We planned our safari through Base Camp Tanzania, and Achmed the owner made the booking for us. The cost was $125.00 US per person. We started at the front gate of the park, and fortunately the three of us were the only ones on the drive, along with an armed ranger, the driver and the spotter. On the spot, we paid an extra $20.00 so that our Base Camp driver could join us on the drive. The vehicle had open sides so you could see all around. The drive was 3 hours long...from 8 until 11 pm. We saw an abundance of wildlife, including lions, elephants, chameleons, trees full of sleeping baboons and lots of hippos. At night hippos leave the water to graze on grass and there were hippos large and small walking around on all sides of our vehicle. We were the only ones in the park, and it was exciting being out like that after dark. Even though we lucked out by being the only ones on the night drive that night, I've heard of others who tried to do the night drive and couldn't because it was fully booked up. So to avoid disappointment, it's best to book in advance.

We didn't do the microlight flight, but we did do the hot air balloon flight in the Serengeti and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also booked it in advance through Base Camp and we paid $499.00 US per person which included champagne and a full course bush breakfast afterwards.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Thank you!

Where is Base Camp? We need to sign up for the night game drive before we leave for Africa on Wednesday, We will be staying at Lake Manyara Serena Lodge with others from our safari group on the 21st-22nd of June (this month). We may be the only ones interested in it.

Has anyone out there done the Lighter than Air microlite flights? We've been in balloons a couple of times before, but never a microlite. Does anyone know how many it accommodates?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Base Camp is situated in Arusha. Your safari organizer should be able to book the night drive for you.

As for the microlite, I assume it will be a 2 person...in otherwords...the pilot and one passenger.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

You can book the night game drive direct with Serena Lodge/Manyara as this is from where the activity commences. Serena is located right outside the game into Manyara park.

Can't advise re microlight!

san francisco
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Can you do the night game drive in L. Manayara if you are staying at Kirurumu Tented camp? The map makes it seem like this facility is outside the park boundaries but I am not sure.

Bill

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Hi Bill:

Yes you certainly can. In fact, we were staying at the Kirurumu when we did the night game drive. It doesn't matter where you're staying. You simply have to be at the park entrance by 8 pm. But book in advance to ensure that you have a seat. We lucked out the night we went because we were the only ones, so it was like a private safari drive. But from what I've heard, this is not the norm.

san francisco
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

Thanks HVG!

san francisco
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

I just signed up for our trip on 30 June. Leopard Tours charges us $150 each for this.

Bill

9. Re: Night game drives and Microlite flghts in Lake Manyara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2017, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Manyara National...