We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
695 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

Earlier this month we were in a beautiful tent overlooking the valley from Kirurumu Manyara Lodge. At 5:30am I awoke to beautiful singing/chanting coming from the valley. I went out on the patio of the tent and listened to it. It was over by 5:45am. It sounded more like male voices. Later that day I told my guide about it and asked if it was some type of morning prayers. He said he thought it may have been people on their way to work. I have googled it and can not come up with anything. Has anyone else experienced this? It is a lovely memory of our trip, and I'd like to know if the singing had any particular significance.

7 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,581 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

I can't clarify it for you, but I can share your enjoyment in it. These are the little unexpected moments of travel that create lovely memories - often ones that stay with us more than a specific animal view.

I loved Sundays at the volunteer house as I could hear the choirs from different churches throughout the morning. Makes me smile even now.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

Muslim call to prayer maybe? What day of the week was it? You sure it was men? Possibly children?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

If it was the Muslim 'call for prayer' (and nowadays these are usually done by an electronic recording), know that day of week shouldn't matter as Muslims pray 5x daily. However, to non-Muslims, it's often the early morning 'call' that we'd probably hear... it's unexpected.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
695 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

It was a Tuesday morning. The voices seemed too deep to be children. I was thinking it may be a call to prayer also. I mentioned that to our guide - he is not Muslim. That's when he said it may have been people going to work. It was more like a singing chant than a song. No high notes were sung. Whatever it was, it was a highlight. It was so peaceful listening to the song just as the sun was peaking up.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,581 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

Here is an interesting site

www.islamicfinder.org/prayerDetail.php…

perhaps it was call to prayer as I assume it happens before actual prayer time.

As 4Sandi notes, it is usually the morning one we notice the most. Imagine an Arusha downtown guest house on Mosque street. Quite an unexpected awakening as via a very loud recording. Address should have been my hint.

However, evening call to prayer in Egypt small towns is often still done by the muezzin and was a lovely accompaniment for the gorgeous sunsets on the Nile. Often several villages in close proximity and a little competition between two or three muezzin. These were the ones I noticed there. It was lovely.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

It is those little experiences which are memorable also. When I was staying in Arusha at the Tumaini Cottages, sitting in their garden, I listened to a children's choir which was practicing next door. It was a special unexpected 'little extra'.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?

From my knowledge of Kirurumu it would be too far from the village for singing to carry that distance. There are paths criss crossing just below KTL and it could well be people going out to work the fields but would these be male?

However the Maasai Askaris at KTL often welcome the day warmly together after their night's vigil and may be they had a small sun up glee club running. They do sing rather well at times.

Reply to: early morning singing/chanting near Kirurumu Manyara Lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Manyara National...