We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Which Selous Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East London - SA
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Hi a short safari from Dar to either Selous or Mikumi for us seems to be totally out of the ordinary budget for SA travellers! We will be staying in Zanzibar for a week and seems such a pity to miss out on a safari. Any suggestions how we can go about doing this. We will catch the ferry across to Dar and will need to be picked up there and return for trip home. I know we want to do this on a tight budget but cannot stay in those really little dome tents. 4 adults.

Early July.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

First of all define Tight budget.

Are you suggesting a self drive to Mikumi and a lodge stay or what?

You can make your way to Mikumi village by public transport and stay at Genesi Motel quite cheaply. They will arrange a car for the Park at a good rate.

When are you planning your visit? Adventure Camps (Selous) have some Low season prices. www.adventurecampstz.com/acspecials.htm

Give them a call if this appeals. The Headline Cost looks high but bear in mind this is all inclusive of Drives, flights etc.,

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Go to the Tanzania forum and look at the list of Top Questions. One of the links there will be a discussion on how to take a short safari from Dar that will be rather inexpensive. Basically, you will take a bus from Dar (at the Ubungo Bus Terminal) to Iringa. Shortly after leaving Morogoro you will pass through Mikumi National Park, and at the far end of Mikumi NP you will come to Mikumi Village. Get off the bus here and go to the Genesis Motel (I'm certain it has changed but the last time I stayed there it cost me about $15 including breakfast) and get a room there. You might want to book this in advance. They will be able to set you up with a vehicle to take you into the park which is right next door. This will be the least expensive safari which you can go on (outside of having your own vehicle and driving there yourself).

An alternative to this would be to rent a vehicle in Dar and drive yourself to Mikumi. You take the Morogoro Road out of Dar and take that to Morogoro, then get on the Iringa Road at the roundabout as you enter Morogoro. Drive through Mikumi NP and stay at Genesis Motel. Drive yourself to the park. One thing you will need to remember is to get a card at the Exim bank to pay for your park entrance fees, they won't take cash at the parks.

East London - SA
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Thanks for the replies. Im not so sure about the self drive - wanting a stress-free trip!! I have got a quote for a pick up from Dar and safari all inclusive for just under R8000 per person. Our rands just dont stretch too far.... this looks like a good option. With Bright Safaris?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

S'funny. An American on the Nambian forum was recently complaining the cost of his trip had gone up12% due to the ZAR's strength.

I don't call ZAR8,000 ($1,000?) per person particularly low budget. Exactly what does it involve?

Edited: 15 February 2012, 19:10
East London - SA
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

One option is a pick up from Dar - driven to Selous - stay at hippo camp (not sure exactly on the accommodation) think its permanent tents. A Few game drives. Walking safari 2hrs and a boat safari Rufiji river. All meals. This is for 3 nights and 4 days. Driven back to Dar. R7000

Other option is staying at Mikumi - pick up Dar - accommodation at Angalia tented camp - games drives meals and a canoe trip. Cultural village and cane fields.R5400 - still have to get over from Zanzibar and back so will be quite pricey. Bright African Safaris?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Personally I would take the Selous over Mikumi any time. Bigger area and more big game to see.The Boat Safari is good and interesting as is the walk.

It is a longish drive from Dar but then Mikumi is too.

East London - SA
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

Thanks was also thinking Selous - its just the tents that worry me, do you know hippos camp? My itenerary includes accommodation at Selous river campsite but its the small dome tents and stretchers! just need that extra comfort of a proper bed and space above me. Rather big tall people!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

I don't know this one. It looks much the same standard Permanent Tent you get ost places. Fixed walk in tent with en suite that is shown on the heading photo of their website.

""Well furnished with en-suite facilities, each tent is built on platforms (some taller than others!), with a spacious veranda.""

Ask you agent to confirm. I am with you on the dislike of crawling into a tent although can do it if necessary.

9. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2012, 11:14
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day budget safari - is this possible for South African's

South African friends of course.

Pinkbeat. 20 posts all today and all the same whether on Kruger, Capetown and even TZ.

Have you visited all these places or are you somehow connected?