We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Nice
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Hello everyone

We are going to Zanzibar in september & would like to spend about 10 days in total ( with a 2 years old boy). I was thinking of Staying 2 nights in Stone town & 6/7 nights in kendwa or Nungwi. Also has anyone stayed in Double tree hotel? How far is between Nungwi and Kendwa. Can we stay in one place & go for a dinner in the other? Is there any supermarket or shop where we can buy mineral water, fruits etc? Is it a good idea to hire a car?

Please advice us.

Regards

Anaz

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Hi Anaz,

Just a quick note to let you know:

Nungwi and Kendwa are close by car / boat but too far to walk.

I did also take a look around the Double Tree last October. At this point it wasn't totally finished however it looked to me that it could become a good family resort. It has a good size pool and the rooms are modern with traditional style furniture and plenty to do on site. On the down side, there was quite a bit of sea weed on the beach and lots of local boats just off shore. I would say that Nungwi makes a good base for exploring as you are not quite so captive within one hotel or resort. If you plan on doing this then the car would make sense. Driving around Zanzibar is fairly easy.

I hope this info helps

Pure Zanzibar

Nice
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Thanx pure Zanzibar. Do you recommend a good place for lunch & dinner?

Edited: 27 July 2010, 15:47
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Addition to that:-

Double tree by Hilton is officially opened in December.

Doubletree by Hilton Zanzibar – Nungwi is a charming 4* resort with 100 rooms,various food & beverage outlets,a splendid private beach,pool, conference facilities and all usual resort facilities.

Good option and best location for kids.

Nungwi to Kendwa is about 30 - 35 minutes to walk along the beach in low tide states,

To take a Car is only US$ 10 per car one way,there are many Cars around the area for such services.Or us Local motor boat.

You can stay and have a dinner in other part,just talk to driver who will pick you up from Hotel and back,it wont cost more than US$ 20 for return transfers.

Don't take a walk at night to cross these sectors.

There is minishop at Nungwi Village whereby you can buy Water etc,but not fruits,better to have a trip to Stonetown for those fruits also depend on types of fruits.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Nice
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

your advice is much appreciated

Anaz

Zanzibar Island...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

In Nugwi we recommend Langi Langi

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

Are there shops/supermarkets/mini-marts in the Kendwa beach area?

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

For an awesome sea food curry try Langi Langi in Nungwi. :)

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

There are some shops in Nungwi where you can pick some mineral water and other essential items. Double Tree itself is a very nice affordable hotel but its not in the best position. That said, you're in walking distance to much better beaches and all is really on a plate for you. Kendwa is a ten minute drive away and is a nice day out too. I'd definitely recommend some snorkelling / diving while you're out there but be careful who you book through - stick with established operators for safety reasons.

Hope this helps...

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

I'm staying up at Kendwa & will have a car & am bringing my snorkeling gear so I will be set. Cheers!

10. Re: What is the Distance between Nungwi and Kendwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 06:16