We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

lo friends,

excuse me for such a big number of questions. I have a great time now becouse I found at last the optimum itinerary and tour operator - Great Lakes Safaris mentioned in this forum.

There are a few questions nevertheless.

I want to have 3-4 relaxing days in the end of safari and would like to spend it at Chimps` Nest in Kibale because I have a special interest to Chimps and other primares. So my idea was: to move from Fort Portal to South directly to QENP without stopping at Kibale, then to have overnight at Hippo Hill Camp, to make game drive and Kazinga Channel boat trip; after that to drive to Ishasha looking for tree-climbing-lions. After that - returne to North, Kibale stay 3-4 days at Chimps` Nest. I offered to leave the guide-driver and to return to Kampala independently after my stay at Kibale.

But the company offered another plan of transfers:

- after Fort Portal to tranfer Primate Lodge Kibale Cottages (1 night),

- Chimps` Nest - 1 night only,

- Simba Safari Camp - 2 nights,

- Ishasha, Savannah Resort Hotel - 1 night

- ruturn to Kampala.

They wrote also: "in case you want to make it shorter then we need to consider removing Ishasha as it's also far from the other sectors and to be able to go there you have to sleep there".

I understand that Great Lakes Safaris want me to stay at Simba Safari Camp as long as possible because this camp belongs to them. Am I right? And I have nothing against if Simba S.C. has opportunities for relax and viewing monkeys.

This is the situation. Questions:

- worth to spend full day and overnight for visiting Ishasha?

- What is your opinion about Simba Safari Camp in general?

- is this place good for relax and monkey and chimps watching?

- which plan is more rationel - my plan or their one?

- is it normal practice if I leave the guide and car, stay in Chimps` Nest as long as I want and transfer to Kampala independently?

Many thanks to everybody in advance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Like you say this is a multi choice question.

Let's do the first easy bit. Ishasha sector of QE Park is three or more hours from the Hippo Hill area on not a very good road. Most people call in there going to/from Buhoma - QE park. It is better to stay at least one night in that area.

Otherwise you do that bad road twice and see nothing much.

Next easy bit..If you want to stay a week or more just relaxing in some lodge or favourite place you can. No need to keep a guide and car with you. I do this and then get the car or another car to take me on to other places. In your case just catch the Fort Portal bus back to Kampala.

You need to get the lie of the land in your head better. Fort Portal to QE does not pass Kibale.

The route would mainly look like this...

Kampala - Kanyanchu(Kibale)- QE park (Hippo/Mweya/Kazinga)-Ishasha-Kampala. Or in reverse..which would work for you..

Kampala-Ishasha-QE/Mweya-Kanyanchu, lose the car,-bus to Kampala. Be aware however that Kanyanchu is not on a main road and you may have to go Kanyanchu-Fortal Portal-Kampala on the bus.

I do not have reports of Simba Safari Camp. I stay at Kanyanchu or UWA post at Sebitoli which is on main road. Very nice chalets. Lots of birds and monkeys.

You will see lots of Monkeys of different species, Red & BW colobus. Red tailed, L'hoests, Grey cheeked Mangabey etc. Chimps are harder to see although I find them easily when going into the forest for birdwatching.

I hope this helps.

Nairobi
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Hi,

As I understand you want to travel with Great Lakes Safaris. They own several lodges in Uganda (including Primate Lodge and Simba Lodge) which are both somehow, but surely not the best. I have another suggestion for QENP though called Bush lodge. I've talked to many visitors who came from there and they were all very positive about it. Your itinerary is ok when you insist on spending the last days in Kibale Forest. The itinerary your tour operator gives makes no sense unless from their point of view: using their own lodges. Why would they not follow your wishes? The distance will be exactly the same. But you will shift from lodge to lodge which doesn't give you the relaxation you seek. At Simba lodge (or any other lodge in QENP) you will not see a lot of monkeys. Kibale Forest is the National Park holding the most monkeys in the world. Hope this information is useful to you.

3. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 20:23
Uganda
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Bush lodge is owned by gorilla tours ltd

Kampala
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Hi Mazay 1965,

My name is Amos Wekesa the Managing Director of Great Lakes Safaris. The reason for my writing is to inform you that the person discrediting Great lakes Safaris, Simba lodge and primate Lodge is actually a tour operator in Uganda whose operations are pretty much new and small and probably envious. He runs a company called abacus Uganda also called abacus vacations. Great Lakes safaris and its lodges have lots of reviews not only on tripadvisor but also in books like bradt uganda and lonely planet and I also think tripadvisor should take note of this to avoid individuals whose role is to go against the purpose for which such forums are set up. Am not in anyway trying to say travel with Great Lakes Safaris but alerting about dubious fellows contributing to this forums. Enjoy every bit of Uganda when you visit and passby the two lodges he mentioned and see for yourself. God bless

Uganda
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

Am wondering if Loveuganda( Amos) read my post pretty well.Does he challenge me that Bush lodge is not owned by Gorilla Tours? How is that discredit his operations and lodges?

Next time you want to post something for public consumption,first understand the previous posts.

7. Re: QENP, Kibale: which plan is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Queen Elizabeth...