We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Elizabeth NP

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Elizabeth NP

we are two and we are are thinking to go to the QENP.

is easy to reach it without rent a private car?

We will come from Fort Portal or Kibale possibly with public transport or taxi, in middle of August

We are thinking to go to Mweya peninsula and do the Kazinga Channel trip

After that we will go to Ishasa for the climbing lions.

how much could cost reach Ishasha from Mweya? Is the taxi mandatory?

Is the Kyabura Gorge worth a stop?

Can you suggest me budget accomodations around QENP and easily to be reached?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,185 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

Your question falls into two halves.

1. It is pssible to reach QENP on public transport. route via Fort Portal or Mbarara. Roads are reasonable.

2. This is trickier. Should you do so?? Roads are fine but Bus travel in Africa is not for the fainthearted.

then having got to the park gates how do you get to the Lodge at Mweya? Walking is not allowed for obvious reasons. Take a taxi but then how do you get around when at the accommodation.

From Mweya to Ishasha is a better road now. I did it last week in 2 hours including a stop to let the Elephants cross the road..

when there you again face the problem of how to get around the park.

There are two nice Lodges near the gate who may operate trips inside for those without their own Safari Car. There is one upmarket Lodge inside and some basic Bandas by the Park HQ.

I hope this is helpful. Personally I would ask for a Safari Car, cost maybe as low as $100 per day with driver. Skimp on the accommodation to keep within Budget NOT the transport.

Beware Park Fees are $30 per day per person so do budget for that..

Kyabura Gorge is Ok for chimp trekking and there are Bandas at Fig Tree Camp plus a couple of Lodges on the top of the hill.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

mfuwe thanks for your answer, and I hope you enjoyed your trip to QENP.

but I have more questions for you :)

1) do you have more informations about the public transports I mentioned?

like time table, how long does it take, etc..

2) from your answer I understand that the bus will leave me near the entrance of the park, and I cannot go inside walking. And if I take a taxi until the lodge inside the park, I will be stucked there. :(

If I understand, you suggest to find an accomodation outside the park and from there organize me for rent a Safari car or to join an organized tour for Mweya.

Do you think is easy to find other tourists for pick us up in their car sharing costs?

Can you suggest a cheap accomodation outside the park?

In your opinion, is it better to use the banda outside the park as base for reach Mweya, Ishasha and Kyabura Gorge or is better to change to closest lodge of each places?

is it easy to see chimps in Kyabura Gorge? I'm thinking to skip Kibale forest trekking for try my luck here, but I can change back my mind if the chance are very few in Kyabura Gorge.

sorry if I'm asking so many questions but it will be our first time in Africa and there I've found only few infos about Uganda surfing the net.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,185 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

Sorry. I have little useful information on bus services. I beleive most buses leave early morning when they are full but no need to book ahead. Ask when you are in the country.

A bus from Fort Portal to Katanguru (QE gate) should take around three hours depending on how many times it stops. I do not think there are any buses on the Katanguru-Ishasha road, ask for Kihihi. This could be a problem for you.

Lodges such as Mweya have their own Game drive vehicles for clients without their own so it is not really a problem However it is not cheap and it could work out more economical to arrange a Car and driver of your own. Reasonable budget rates can be negotiated.

There are plenty of 'cheap' places to stay but they are not always 'nice'. Be prepared for that. I note that it is your first time in Africa so do be aware that things are not as they are at home.

Chimps are in Chambura but they are not guaranteed. Kibale has many more troops.

Instead of surfing, might I suggest you buy a guide book. I recommend Bradt Guide by Briggs and Roberts. There are a lot of answers for you in there. good luck.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

thanks for your answers, it was very useful.

I already have the Bradt and I have also the East Africa from Lonely Planet, but I think they are more "car oriented" than "I try to make it by bus" and not all the info are in them

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,185 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

If you have Bradt, have you registered for EMail newsupdates? They are very informative and contain recent tips from other travellers.

In the Book try pages 98-99 for bus info.

Good luck.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

no I didn't registered, I'll do it right now.

thank for the info

usa
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

Miky , I advise you to atleast pay some extra on transport by hiring your own vehicle and fueling it if you are on a very low budget .

I am sure you might end up spending more if you used public transport because first of all ; buses go on stopping along the way to pick up people. It is not known how much time they will spend at different stations because they ensure that at every point they stand they have to pick as many people as they can . So the drive which would have been 6 hours ends up being doubled if you are unlucky .

If you have your budget accommodation booked especially in the high season , and you haven't paid, the lodges may give it to walk- ins and chances are that you may not find accommodation of your budget because some times these lodges lack mobile phone networks to communicate to you to find out if you still need the rooms .

So it is more advisable to use private vehicles because you will save time and also catch up with your tour activities.

This however does not mean that all people that have used public transport have had such bad experiences . But why try to risk your holiday time yet time wasted might never be gained.

Add some little more US$$ and enjoy your holiday and dont turn it into a horror -day- I call it.

Edited: 03 July 2010, 18:56
8. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 16:05
9. Re: Queen Elizabeth NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Queen Elizabeth...