We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Rochester, mn
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Could someone suggest some accomodation options in Ishasha sector that don't cost an arm and a leg like Ishasha Wilderness camp (upwards of $750 for 2 pax plus kids) or be really cheasy/tacky like @theriver. We were thinking of something in $200-$350 range. We are currently scheduled to travel from Buhoma to QE and stay 2 nights at Katara or Jacana lodge but hear that we should break those 2 nights and stay 1 night in Ishasha and then 1 night at Katara/Jacana.

Also, are tree climbing lions REALLY REALLY that special??? We are also travelling to Mara, Tsavo and Amboseli after being in Uganda for a week so I am sure we have MUCH more lions to see ahead of us. Any thoughts/suggestions will greatly be appreciated.....

Kazinga Channel
Bodies of Water, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Katwe Tourism Information Centre
Hot Springs & Geysers, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Valleys, Volcanoes
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

There is one campsite much cheaper than your budget called @ the river Ishasha .

They have cottages that cost 50$ per per person

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

There are no Lodges in that price range ($250-$350) that I am aware of.

Down the same track as At the River are two more "Camps/Tented Lodges".

the name of one escapes me, it is the first one you come to, and the other is Ntungwe Lion Camp. We stayed at the latter recently and whilst the two stilted Tents are fine the actual set up left a lot to be desired.

www.treelionsafarilodge.com Check out the reviews on here.

Frankly there is no real reason to break your journey in Ishasha. You can get through from Buhoma to Katanguru in about 4-6 hours.

As to Tree climbing Lions. Well they are Lions in tree. that's about it. We saw em last month but after about ten minutes what can they do for an encore? Fly or sing? Nope. Just keep on lion in trees.

Take your two nights in Jacana, Katara or even Mweya which is more central, and avoid one night packings.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Precisely, I agree with you, take on the two nights in Queen with out the break, since you are moving on ahead to Kenya, what more would you want with tree climbing lions and pay expensively any way.

Bon voyage!!

CYCADS AFRICAN SAFARIS

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Whilst I love IWC, (and it's worth it to be honest), I think there's a lot to be said for having more than one night in a place. I did this in July, and regretted not staying there for longer. Sometimes in your trip, you don't have the choice, but every few days you need to

Stop.

Please explain what you mean by "cheesy/tacky" ?

Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

We spent 1 night at Ishasha Wilderness Camp, and whilst it is expensive, we arrived to an elephant across the narrow river from our tent and Henry hippo in the river.

In answer to you lion question, we loved this part of our trip because we weren't in a hurry and spent more time with them. As we arrived at Ishasha found 4 in a tree and watched for a while before going to accom. Later that afternoon went back to fig tree area, where we watched a male in a tree (our guide had only seen this 3 times in 10 years) and then climbed down from tree and headed off to another area of cover. We then moved onto another tree which had 5 lions in it, the mother then came out of another area and walked past our vehicle and climbed up the tree to her family. We could hear more lions in the scrub under the tree.

Definitely worth it in our view.

Edited: 23 February 2013, 21:23
Tiberias, Israel
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

We spent one night , a month before, at the Ishasha Ntungwe camp. you can't compare it to the Mweya safari Lodge were we spent 2 night before, but if you want a warm shower and a good meal it's enough. We come to Ishasha to see the tree Lions, and unfortunately , in 2 game drive, one at the mornning and one at the afternoon , we didn't see them. So to my opinion you can skip the region. I attached a link to the pictures of our trip

https:/…

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Nice pictures.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Great photos... Why dont you try savana resort but its out of the game park..

Edited: 24 February 2013, 17:29
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Well what can another birder say? Great photographs Moti. A few captions missing but I will allow you that coz you dipped me on that Shining Blue Kingfisher. Never got a picture like that (yet) in seven trips!

( but I did get great pictures of seven Lions in a tree right by the main road so we can call it a draw!)

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ishasha Sector Accommodation

Wow!, devine pictures Moti! Thank you for taking your time to share these with us. About Ishasha, the chances of seeing tree climbing lions are 60% . It is unfortunate that you never saw them yet you even had an over night there and we hope that the next time you come to Uganda , you get the chance to see them .

Get answers to your questions about Queen Elizabeth...