We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking and corning?

Oakland, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hiking and corning?

I am interested in hiking at watkins glen but also in visiting the glass factory at corning. If I allow 2 1/2 days, will I have sufficient time to do everything?

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
452 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking and corning?

That's plenty. Figure one day for WG and a day for Corning (you might consider the Rockwell Museum too, if you like Western art).

Mentioned in this post
Corning
Corning
Finger Lakes, NY
The Rockwell Museum
The Rockwell Museum
418 Reviews
Corning, NY
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking and corning?

You will have enough time to hike the glen (max, 3 hours needed!) and then you could take a sailboat cruise (Malibar X) and get in some of the lake. Hit some wineries, then head off to Corning. Spend the night walking around Market St (ton of places for dinner/drinks) and then the next day at Corning Glass. 2 1/2 days more than enough. Watkins Glen is 25-30 minutes to Corning (Rt 414).

Mentioned in this post
Corning
Corning
Finger Lakes, NY
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Oakland, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking and corning?

Great info. What would you recommend as the top winery to visit? I am travelling with two kids ages 11 and 13, are they welcome in the wineries?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking and corning?

Kids are welcome at the wineries, but of course they won't be served! (some wineries do provide grape juice for kids and DDs). My favorite wineries in the Finger Lakes are: East side of Seneca Lake: Red Newt and Lamoreaux Landing. West side of Seneca Lake: Hermann J. Wiemer and Fox Run. Keuka Lake: Dr. Frank. In fact, I would argue that Dr. Frank has the best wines in the Finger Lakes. If you go there, try to get a tasting with George...he really makes it memorable!

Mentioned in this post
Keuka Lake
Keuka Lake
45 Reviews
New York
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking and corning?

I agree with the above posts, too. I lived in Corning for a long time and miss it still...

Red Newt is great and the restaurant is WONDERFUL...great food and great wine.

Dr Frank is also an excellent choice.

My husband and I like the personal attention we have received at Keuka Springs, too...their white wines are among our favorites. Keuka Lake cannot be beat for scenery. The drive from Penn Yan to Branchport to Hammondsport is awesome.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth

Richmond, VA

Mentioned in this post
Corning
Corning
Finger Lakes, NY
Keuka Lake
Keuka Lake
45 Reviews
New York
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Oakland, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking and corning?

Thanks so much everyone, I'll let you know how it goes!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking and corning?

Hmmm.. I'll stick to Seneca Lake wineries, as Dr. Frank at least 45-55 minutes from Watkins Glen. West side: Bloomer Creek, Red Newt, Shalestone, Lamoreaux Landing. East side: Lakewood, Arcadian (not the best wines, but lots of fun). The rest of my favorites are too far and would take you all the way up the lake. Kids are always welcome, and some wineries have grape juice to taste.

Good lunch places: Grapevine (HUGE sandwich selection); the Grist Mill Cafe (in Burdett, worth the 5 min drive!). Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Little Egg Harbor...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking and corning?

what was your favorite winery?