We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Topic
US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Hi

My husband and I are planning to be in NY state around the time of the US Vintage Grand Prix on Sep 12/13.

Actualy the situation is - we are flying into Toronto on Fri 11th, picking up rental car, staying overnight at Niagara Falls and were planning to head south to Pennsylvania on the Sat for 5 days or so before heading back across the Canadian border to spend 8/10 days with family (both his and mine)

I've just discovered that the US Vintage Grand Prix is on at Watkins Glen on the Sat and Sun so thinking it wouldn't be too much of a detour. Hubby loves cars and racing (my best ever Christmas present to him was Indy 500 tickets)and I know would love this. Couple of questions for some experts please -

the only tickets appear to be general admission - does this mean standing only?

is the whole racetrack good for viewing or are there bad spots?

is it reasonable to drive Niagara Falls to Watkins Glen in one day?

Would Corning be a sensible place to stay overnight?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm thinking it would be a shame to miss this when we could be in the area.

Any help much appreciated.

Gill

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

bump

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

anyone? - I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

The website has a contact page. That might be the best bet for getting answers to your question.

theglen.com/About-The-Glen/Contact-Us.aspx

Good luck

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Niagara Falls to Watkins Glen is about a 3 hour drive.

Corning is a nice place to stay (only 20 miles from WG). There is a pleasant historic district right in town with lots of good eating options. The Glass Museum is worth a look if that sort of thing interests you.

Keep in mind that lodging may be tight in both places because of the race and you may have to stay someplace a little farther away such as Elmira or Geneva.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Thanks kayofcny

I've mailed the race track using your link and I'll see what they can tell me.

Gill

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Thanks rjr0810

I had a look and there are Staybridge suites in Corning at a good rate - think I should book this weekend though since we are planning to stay Sat and Sun nights. Looks like a nice area to visit.

Glass making/blowing has always fascinated me, I love to watch people crafting it and I think the museum would also be nice to visit.

Gill

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

Just saw your post. My husband and I are planning to be in Watkins Glen for the Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09. Think about being in the area on that Friday for the festival. They also run the old race cars around the old road course. Lot's of old race cars on display. As for the track at the Glen, Saturday is qualifying Sunday is for the vintage racing. There are no assigned seats, you just walk around until you find a place you want to stand or sit. You can pull your car right up to the infield fence or have a picnic. Very relaxed, not very crowded. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

great, thanks. I like the idea of a picnic and hadn't thought of that.

I contacted the racetrack and a really helpful lady called Patricia Freedman gave me lots of info and suggestions.

We're looking forward to it, planning to be there on the Sunday, I think it will be quite a relaxing day!

9. Re: US Vintage Grand Prix Sept 09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen