We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which wineries do you recommend we visit

Which Watkins Glen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which wineries do you recommend we visit

We will be staying at the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel at the end of the month. We would like to visit a few wineries in the area. Which would you recommend as being the most scenic and fun ? Are we closer to Seneca or Keuka wineries?

Thanks

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which wineries do you recommend we visit

You will be right in the midst of the Seneca Wine Trail. What I always tell my guests is that most every winery has something to offer. I would suggest that you not limit yourself to wineries that are members of the wine trail. Take your time to explore. You can tell a lot about a winery from the architecture. Some wineries obviously take themselves and their wines quite seriously (not that there's anything wrong with that). On the other hand, if your winery is a pole barn structure and you've named it Pompous A$$ Winery....Obviously, that would be one of your "fun" wineries. Hazlitt Vineyards is another fun place, as is Rasta Ranch. The views are spectacular at Atwater Estates (as are the wines). If you're serious about reds, Shalestone has some great dry reds. I truly hate to leave anyone out, but there are SO many wineries now that it would days to explore them all. Many of the wineries now offer evening entertainment and artist receptions on a regular basis as well. You can find a list of upcoming events here: http://www.senecalakewine.com/ I would also suggest that if you taste "properly" and be selective about what you actually ingest you'll be able to cover a lot more ground. Otherwise, it's like doing shots...While it's not a winery, you REALLY should plan a stop at Finger Lakes Distilling, which is right next door to Damiani Wine Cellars. The distillery is simply an amazing place, and they have everything from fruity liqueurs to grappa; all made with local fruits and grains. Both the distillery and Damiani have beautiful views too.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which wineries do you recommend we visit

One of our favorite wineries on Seneca Lake is Lamoreaux Landing.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
47 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which wineries do you recommend we visit

You are in a perfect location, right at the bottom of Seneca Lake, with many, many wineries up both sides of Seneca. We really liked Lakewood for their port, Billsboro for their chocolate/wine pairing, Prejean and Red Newt. Magnus Ridge is beautiful.

However, we loved Keuka Lake wineries.....McGregor has a sit down tasting, Bully Hill has a beautiful deck to enjoy lunch and the wines at Dr. Frank's and Heron Hill were fabulous.

4. Re: Which wineries do you recommend we visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen