We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and Cons of each finger lake

Macungie, PA
2 posts
Save Topic
Pros and Cons of each finger lake

We will rent a house on either Seneca, Keuka, Waneta, Honeoye, otr the small one next to Waneta- which is the most peaceful and private and are there other advantages to any of the 11 finger lakes? All opinons appreciated on pros and cons of the vasrious lakes especially re: best to kayak/canoe and to fish

Mentioned in this post
Seneca Lodge
Seneca Lodge
175 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros and Cons of each finger lake

My thoughts on Seneca vs. Keuka...

Seneca -- larger lake with bigger towns at either end, with more/better wineries and restaurants, IMO.

Keuka -- smaller, more "intimate" lake. Friendlier. The Y shape makes it more "interesting." Can't speak to boating or fishing.

Mentioned in this post
Seneca Lodge
Seneca Lodge
175 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros and Cons of each finger lake

We like Seneca - much larger than the others and easier driving (esp when tasting wine).... we did notice that the one side of the lake the wineries are more "open" and friendlier than the other side - more upity or snooty. But both have great wine!!

Seneca also is gorgeous for boating. My fiance LOVED the water up there ..... they were speaking of going fishing as he heard it's great fishing there.

Mentioned in this post
Seneca Lodge
Seneca Lodge
175 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
New York State
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros and Cons of each finger lake

Seneca Lake is big and cold, but I love it, it is my favorite. There are lots of creeks/gorges, basins, waterfalls and beauty, If it is a really hot summer, the water temp. is nice but normally its a bit chilly but not unbearable. All the lakes have good fishing. Keuka Lake is warmer and very clear but because it is smaller and so popular, it can be pretty busy/crowded. Both of these lakes are great and probably finding the cottage with privacy that best suits your needs will be the big challenge. Lamoka and Waneta Lakes are not Finger Lakes, they are mud lakes situated in between Keuka and Seneca. They are good lakes as well, but much smaller, cheaper too. They are shallow and can get too warm if it is a hot summer. Lamoka is an especially nice lake to kayak on. Lamoka has some really great channels and coves, everytime I take the channel towards Waneta Lake I feel like I am riding up a jungle river. Lots of wildlife and fish to see. These two little lakes have been getting choked with milford weed, and there has been an effort to kill it, but nothing has worked yet. Definately check on Lamoka and Waneta to make sure the waterfront of your cottage isn't in a section where the weeds are thick. Actually you should check on any of the lakes because I was a guest at a cottage on Seneca last summer where there was a lot of seaweed. I don't know about Honeyoye Lake but the lake at Canandaigua is also great, cystal clear and beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Seneca Lodge
Seneca Lodge
175 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Keuka Lake
Keuka Lake
45 Reviews
New York
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
4. Re: Pros and Cons of each finger lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:19