We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idlwilde Inn

Mickleton, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Idlwilde Inn

My husband and I are looking to visit the Finger Lakes region over Memorial weekend. I was told about the Idlwilde Inn in Watkins Glen, but cannot find any opinions on this site. Additional ideas are also welcome..neither of us have been to this region before. We loved California wine country and figured this is much closer for a 3 night weekend. I have purchased the Fodors New York book and there are so many towns surrounding these lakes...both Aurora Inn and Magnolia B&B are booked. We have also never stayed at a B&B, but I figured this would be the time to try one since there are so many in this area. Hammondsport, Penn Yan and Watkins Glen seem to be good towns. I am looking for a town which is naturally beautiful, peaceful, and close to the wineries, main streets, good restaurants, etc. I would also prefer an inn/B&B on the lake. I read about Glenora Inn but the reviews do not seem too good esp those of the restaurant. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Idlwilde Inn
Idlwilde Inn
93 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Hammondsport
Hammondsport
Finger Lakes, NY
Penn Yan
Penn Yan
Finger Lakes, NY
Clifton park, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Idlwilde Inn

We stayed at Anna Rose B&B over at Seneca Lake. Its not on the lake but the accomodations are great & food is wonderful We have also stayed at Elmcroft manor on Keuka Lake. The house is very elegant & food is also terrific. Thats near Hammondsport, bit not on the lake.Both are in quiet areas. Anna Rose a bit more country, but the hosts are very warm & friendly. Elmcroft is w/in walking distance to Hammondsport, but the town is very small & not much to do.We went to Anna Rose for out 1st B&B & will never stay at a hote l again.

Mentioned in this post
Hammondsport
Hammondsport
Finger Lakes, NY
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Idlwilde Inn

We've been visiting the Finger Lakes over Memorial Day weekend for the past several years. We've enjoyed stays at The Fox Inn and Trimmer House (both in "downtown" Penn Yan), Finton's Landing (right outside of "downtown" Penn Yan with waterfront property, including a rocky beach), and Merritt Hill Manor (though it's been a few years since we stayed her). We also very much enjoyed a stay last year at Glenora Inn. With Glenora Inn, you don't get the quaint B&B feel (or the "free" breakfast for that matter), but you do get a large, well-furnished room, with a huge bathroom and a private balcony or patio facing the lake. The food in the restaurant is hit-or-miss...we've had some great meals there and some average ones, but the restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, post-lunch and dinner. You also get a couple of free bottles of wine with your room and a nightly "Port" nightcap, as well as free tastings in the Glenora Winery. This year, we're changing things up and staying on the eastern side of Seneca Lake at the Fox and Grapes B&B. For more info, try www.senecalakewine.com and www.keukawinetrail.com.

Mentioned in this post
Penn Yan
Penn Yan
Finger Lakes, NY
Paterson, NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Idlwilde Inn

We stayed at the Idlwilde Inn a year ago. It was delightful!

The rooms were nice. The facility is clean and well maintained. The breakfasts were a treat. The owners/operators were very friendly. The grounds were extraordinary. It is in easy walking distance to bars & restaurants (if you do not mind a 1/2 mile walk on a hill - NOT recommended in icy winters!).

The bigger problem with Watkins Glen is the lack of decent restaurants. My guess is that 90% of the tourists are on a severe budget - and the restaurants cater to them. Jerlando's Pizza's pasta was terrible (it had been recommended - so we were surprised) Bianco's Italian Restauran was okay. Castle Grisch is an exception - the food there was good.

I am surprised to hear anything bad about the restaurant at Glenora. We ate there twice and thought the meals were excellent. MUCH better than the typical fare in WG.

The Park (Gorge) is a local must-see. The midnight boar ride is a total waste, IMO, due to the fact that the illuminate the boat with fluorescent bulbs so brightly that you can not see anything of the lake of shore; you might as well be in a bobbing warehouse.

Mentioned in this post
Idlwilde Inn
Idlwilde Inn
93 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Idlwilde Inn

What are the prices like at the restaurant at Glenora, and what type of dress - casual?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Idlwilde Inn

Dinner entrees at Veraisons Restaurant (the restaurant at the Inn at Glenora) ran from high teens to upper 20s. I thought the prices for the food received were good values. The menu is posted on their web site: www.glenora.com/gln_menu.taf?_type=dinner

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Idlwilde Inn

Also, re your question about dress. I would say business casual for dinner. You could probably even do nicer/dressy jeans or, in summer, nicer shorts.

7. Re: Idlwilde Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:20