We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide for Masada

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Guide for Masada

We plan to drive ourselves to Masada on the way back from Eilat.

Are there guides available at Masada whom we can ask to accompany us to the top, do tours run there regularly, or do we have to arrange our own tour guide before we get there to show us around?

Thanks for your help

Bokek River
Canyons, Deserts, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Route 90
Other Outdoor Activities
Dead Sea Premier
Beaches, Spas, Bodies of Water
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide for Masada

There are NO guides at Masada who you can ask to accompany you to the top. YOu would have to arrange your own guide, in advance to meet you there. However, Masada has an informative museum and there is a decent audio tour available. While not the same as a live guide--it is very easy and possible to do Masada on your own.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,132 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide for Masada

Use the audio guide, as mentioned above guides are not available on-site. However, if you come during a very busy day, there is a possibility that none will be available, as there are limited numbers. The key it to get there as early as possible, or later in the day.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,925 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide for Masada

An additional point, guides are not available, waiting at any site in Israel. If you prefer to have a private tour, this something you will need to arrange in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide for Masada

Thanks for all your very helpful information.

I had thought that possibly it may be like in Europe where there are plenty of guides at popular tourist spots who put a group together and run a tour once it's full.

I didn't realise the extent to which this area would be busy over Pesach. I think we may need to revise our itinerary but it won't be easy.

Would going down to Masada, Ein Gedi and the dead sea on Sunday the 24th be a crazy alternative?

Otherwise maybe we just top off there on the 27th en route to Eilat, but that would be a very long day. How long should we allow to do Masada, Ein Gedi and the dead sea?

Thanks again

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,132 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide for Masada

Going on the 24th the place will not have alot of visitors as it is the eve of Pesach. If you want to stop at the Dead Sea on the way to Eilat from Jerusalem expect the day to run at least 9 hours and perhaps longer. If you are going on the 24th, note that everything closes at 4 that day, so you should be in Eilat by 7 or so.

Regarding Pesach, it is the most busy time of the year, not only are there alot of tourists from abroad but also most Israelis are on holiday which of course means crowds at sites as well as on the roads. But it is an experience and I have no doubt you will enjoy your visit.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide for Masada

You can do the 24th, it starts to really get packed on Pesach itself (starting April 26th) however you might still find it difficult to book 1 night on April 24th, so just do it as a day trip from Jerusalem.

I don't recommend doing it on the 27th, it would be completely overcrowded.

Lengths: Ein Gedi reserve: 2 hours, Masada national park: 3 hours, Dead Sea beach - as much as you would like (2 hours should be enough). Add driving time and you have got a whole day (definitely possible as a day trip from Jerusalem, if you depart on your way early! since reserves and parks close around 16:00, but the public beaches remain open).

Edited: 04 February 2013, 13:18
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,925 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide for Masada

I think you meant to say March and not April.

National parks open at 8 am. Since it will already be daily savings time, parks close at 5, latest entry is at 4, but you will clearly need more than an hour.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 13:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide for Masada

Good morning!

Thanks so much for taking all this time to reply with so much helpful information.

Yes, I think we need to revisit our itinerary.

It looks like we may need to do a day trip from Jerusalem on the 24th March. This is rather a shame as I would have preferred to have done a few Jerusalem tours on this day.

Whilst we are in Israel for 2 weeks we have a number of restrictions on where we can be and when we can be there as there is Pesach, my daughter has only one week off from her Israel programme and our son is also joining us but not for the full 2 weeks,

As I don't like to drive over Yom Tov, it would have been nice to spend it at a Dead Sea Hotel but it seems like this isn't going to happen. Having received your feedback, perhaps this isn't a bad change as it seems that the drive back to Jerusalem from Ein Bokek post Pesach could be rather tedious.

Does anyone know if there are walking tours that operate in Jerusalem on the 7th day of Pesach. What about the Tunnel tours?

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,925 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide for Masada

As the 7th of Pesach is Yom Tov (April 1) - the Kotel Tunnels are closed, as is the City of David and all the sites in the Jewish Quarter.

There may be some walking tours offered by the city, they will probably be announced closer to Pesach. The Tower of David Museum is open, some of the other tours will be operating as usual, such as Sandeman's, though as you know that tour covers many Christian sites too.

10. Re: Guide for Masada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 06:15