We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

Which Ein Bokek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

We're going to be renting a car in Jerusalem and driving down to Eilat. We want to take a dip in the Dead Sea on the way. Which is the best place to stop? I don't think we want to linger, because we'd rather hang out on the beaches of Eilat. Just looking for the experience -- and maybe a bite to eat. Any info on costs, pros and cons would be helpful. Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

The only places you will find kosher food in the Dead Sea area are the hotels at Ein Bokek, Cafe Cafe at Ein Bokek (which I believe is mehadrin) and in the food court at Masada there is a fleishik cafeteria and a falafel, shawarma, etc. place that are kosher - the rest of the places there are not kosher and neither is snack bar at Mineral Beach - you can find packaged items that are sealed and kosher, for example, drinks, ice creams, etc. but meals only in the places I noted..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

Hi there.

Two quick questions.

1. My skin is a little bit delicate, and usually when I go to the beach, i have to rinse off the salty residue with an actual shower (soap, shampoo and water). When I read in the difference messages that there are public showers in Ein Gedi and Ein Bokek, are these actually private showers to bathe? or just open where only you can use water?

2. In relation to kids, my son is 7 years old. We are planning our trip for november and he is already so excited about going to the dead sea. Is it actually prohibited for kids to enter the sea?, I was planning to allow him to be in the sea for 4-5 minutes, and of course be with him all the time... any advice on my case?

Thank you all.

JJ

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

As far as I know the showers for the public beaches in Ein Bokek are open air (not privet). I would allow a seven year old kid to dip in the water as long as he is not scrubbing any part of his face (only after a shower)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

We hiked into Ein Gedi first, then used the Spa at Ein Gedi with two 3-year-olds, an infant, and a 6-year old with us. Kept the infant in the shade at the Spa clubhouse, but the other kids loved the float and helping smear mud on the grown-ups. They liked the pool at the spa very much. The spa is nicer than the public beach (not luxe, just clean, with a straightforward, old-fashioned cafeteria) and you have the pool to relax in after your float.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,660 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

<< Is it actually prohibited for kids to enter the sea?, >>

No, but you MUST make it clear to him that he MUST NOT splash, MUST NOT put his head in the water, MUST NOT put his hands (wet with Dead Sea water) to his face.

If he has any cuts on his body (same for all of you) they will be agony, so that is also something to take into consideration.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

Kids go into the water all the time. Even the stinging of cuts varies, some people find it no big deal. Otheres find it extremely painful.

Yes, we certainly explained to the kids that the water is so salty it stings if it gets in their eyes, not like the beaches they are used to. It isn't at all like other beaches, salt solidifies at the water's edge and all in all it is a totally unique beach. Just the oddness makes kids a tad cautious. We didn't make a big deal because we didn't them to work themselves into a tizzy.

We just kept a parent near each child and helped them float until they got bored. They we let them smear on the mud. They we helped them shower off. The shower water is sun-heated and pleasantly warm. The whole experience is smooth and easy. After we got home, our 3-year old built his wooden train tracks to run his toy train "from the beach at Tel Aviv to the beach at the Dead Sea" so that his favorite toy engines could go swimming. It was totally pleasant, and memorable and I don't think there needs to more than common sense precautions in taking children.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

Jota_Jota_O. Yes, the public beaches at Ein Gedi have private showers to bathe inside men's and women's changing rooms.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,604 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

If you are referring to the public beach at Ein Gedi, it has been officially closed to the public. If you are referring to the Ein Gedi Spa, this is a good choice as it has everything you need for a great day. Including private showers, sulfur baths, cafeteria, pool and shuttle to the waters edge, amongst other things. However, if your skin is sensitive from regular sea water I do not suggest going into the Dead Sea at all as the salt content is 10 times that of the Mediterranean which may make you extremely uncomfortable. There are open air showers by each beach (no matter which place you decide to go) with indoors ones closer to the main building or in the public bathroom/shower room building.

Chana

Israel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

We were just @ Mineral w/our 2 girls, age 10. It was a bit traumatic for them, because for some reason the Dead Sea water caused them terrible pain in their private parts. This was unexpected! They were so sad w/tears etc b/c floating in the Dead Sea water was something they were so excited about. I would

Not bring kids there at all -it just is SO not fun for them if any stinging occurs & then you're stuck hAving paid your $$ etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mineral Beach, Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi

Chana, you are a wealth of information! The Ein Gedi free beach is closed? when will it open? I know its not a fave on this fromum, but we like it! and we enjoy it more then Ein Bokek as it feels more salty/floaty. is there another free beach near by? seems silly to pay for an hour or so visit if you don't need a pool or spa or facilities .