We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran voyage tips

Which Morro de Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran voyage tips

I just did this trip so thought I'd share a couple of tips that I wish I had before I went.....

Catamaran is good option but be prepared for a choppy ride and even for the toughest of stomachs, you may get sick. My catamaran had about a 60-70% vomit rate amongst the passengers. I knew I was in for a bumpy ride when they passed out plastic bags to each passenger as the boat left port. So prepare yourself. Take some motion pills if you can. Also don't party hard the night before and be careful what you choose to eat/drink before the boat ride. Also I think best to sit on the external part of the boat so you feel the breeze and you can keep your eyes focused on the horizon. Don't close your eyes, look down or read. Just stay focused on the horizon and you'll have the best chance. Also, plan to get a little wet on the outside area. Even though it is in back, you get wet a bit from the splashes of the waves against the boat.

So if it is a nice day, the catamaran will go direct which takes about 2.25 hours. If the seas are way too rough, they won't say anything to you but will travel for about 50 minutes and you exit the boat at a pier. Then they will stick you on a bus for another 1.5 hours (still not saying much) then take you to another small ferry boat that will travel for about a half hour to Morro port. The full time on this route is 4-4.5 hours with the 2 boats, bus and time it takes to corral people through each transition. The reason I share this with you is so you can be prepared and less confused than I was. Also good to consider this when making your other plans (eg flights, tours) to give yourself cushion as you won't know if you go the short or long way until it is time to leave.

Of yeah, and I thought I was going to be clever and avoid the whole catamaran thing for my return voyage by taking a plane. I saw the website, read in book, saw ads around town about a small plane flight option for like 279 reis from Morro to Salvador airport. Perfect! So I got to the island, tried to book it and learned that the flights are no longer in service. Not sure if that's a permanent thing or just for the season but good for you to check in advance if you want to take the plane too. Best to get your hotel to check for you.

Enjoy!

Santa Fe, Argentina
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

Thanks for share this information!

Do you know where I can see the Catamaran start navigation time? I need to take it as early as I can.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

We also just did this trip and heard about the direct trip on the seas with a high vomit rate. People who did changed to the boat-bus-boat option for the return leg.

We heard of people doing a day tour which you spend about 8hrs traveling...definitely not worth it. Stay at least one night on the island.

Also don't take the word of the tourist office (the one in Barra anyway). We needed to get an early ferry to return to Salvador for a flight but apparently the earliest was 9:30am. This was only through the company that they deal with. Once you get to the ferry terminal you'll see 4 companies with a variety of times. We got a 6:30am which was perfect. There was an 8:30am too. We paid $R75 each. My advice is pop into the ferry departure area before your departure date and check out what works for you.

São Paulo, SP...
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

Since this Sept 2014 you can avoid the catamarn nightmare if you begin the trip in São Paulo , SP, by taking a regular flight by Azul airlines. In about 2 hours you arrive in Valença airport and then take a 15min boat to Morro de São Paulo.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

Great...didnt know that Valença has an airport.I recommend people taking the route-Salvador ferry to Bom Despacho-the bus cidade de sol to Valencia and speedboat to Morro de Sao Paolo.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

Thanks for this valuable information, Worldtravelguy. The ferry to bom despatcho - bus to valenca - boat to boipeba route initially turned me off due to the multiple legs, but it seems like that's actually the best way to do it. Thanks again.

6. Re: Catamaran voyage tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2015, 05:16