We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

San Diego
Level Contributor
57 posts
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

I am planning on going to the Peruvian Amazon and I want to stay in a place somewhat comfortble but still get a unique Amazon experince. I was wondering how much wildlife is in these parts of southeastern peru and what I would probably see if I stayed in Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica? I was also wondering about the surrounding forests, I hear that they are secondary forests and are not nearly as pristine as in Manu. I was wondering if there is alot of development and clearing of the forest around Inkaterra? Also, is the waters of the madre de dios polluted which would wreck the overall experience of being in the amazon rainforest? Overall I am wondering if this area around Tambopata/Puerto Maldonado is a real Amazon experience or should I go elsewhere?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,377 posts
504 reviews
1. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

Its the real thing and the Inkaterra Lodge is probably the best in the area.

Go for it !

Utah, USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

From the research i have done and what i have read, it is the real deal!

The Inkaterra lodge does look amazing...but it is definitely 5 star!

I just priced out a 5day/4 night trip in their least expensive room. 2 adults per room = 4 rooms.

The total was $10,304 with taxes! That is $1288 per person or about $257 a day! And I'm not sure if it includes any of the excursions.

This would blow our budget, so I am looking at either Wasai or one of the Refugio lodges. While they don't look quite as posh, it seems like they would offer a similar jungle experience. They are all located pretty close to each other, relatively speaking.

They both cost around $100-$125 pp per day.

Thoughts on these 2 lodges?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

I just retutned from Reserva Amazonica last week. All I can say is you get what you pay for and I felt the Reserva Amazonica was well worth the splurge. The staff was incredible and the accommodations were excellent. The excurisons (which are included in the rate) were wonderful. We saw a good deal of wildlife, Monkeys, Taiper, Ocelot, various Birds, Snapkes, Turtles, insects, etc. It was a great experience and everyone at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica was friendly and knowledgeable, especially our guide Wilson, he's truly cared about making our experience in the jungle quite memorable, he's the best!!

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

i stayed there for 3days/2nights there in end of May, and they are wonderful, i too remember wilson, though i didn't get to see much wildlife, no monkeys =( their service is 5star+; rooms are great (but keep in mind u're not in nyc, it's the jungle middle of nowhere)

just curious, why are you staying so long? 5days/4nights? i felt 3days/2nights were more than enough...my opinion

the amount of money was worth it

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

This area is very nice, there is no de-forestation here.

Most lodges are located within a 2-3 hour boat ride from Puerto Maldonaldo the main town.

I hope the the Madre de Dios, and Tambopata rivers aren't polluted, as I fell in when Kayaking recently!

The Inkaterra is one of the best lodges.

You may want to check out Posada and Refugio lodges by Rainforest Expeditions too. Great value for money, and very well run.

East Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
6. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

It's an excellent lodge with fine service and a very nice staff. The jungle around there is fine and there is abundant wildlife. I am surprised to see a report where a visitor didn't find monkeys. We see lots.

Where we were there some companies were pursuing gold mining in the Madre de Dios with some dredging equipment. A bit of a bummer but not something that would ruin the trip. Long term, of course, the consequences may be bad.

Still, I don't hesitate to recommend Reserva Amazonica for a wonderful jungle experience.

7. Re: Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:16