We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

Richmond
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

We are planning to go to TRC for 5days/4 nights on Dec 26. One of our group is extremely concerned about a lack of hot water if it's raining all the time and getting too cold. How available is the hot water at TRC? Also, due to the humidity does the bedding get damp during the day? Is the weather really that that cold and wet and terrible in december ?

The rest of our group is very keen on going to the amazon. Is there another lodge that has a higher level of amenities?

5 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

Cold ? Its summer time.

Most lodges offer hot showers and good dry bedding.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

You'll be lucky if it drops into the 70s at night.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

When u are in the Amazon jungle, I think u should worry more about the mosquitos than the humidity..

Richmond
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

Thank for the input. It's just that we've travelled in high humidity countries where unless its an air conditioned room everything is soaking at the end of the day. if temperatures drop a bit at night combined with everything being damp you actually get really cold.

If the bedding stays dry and you can warm up from the rain with a shower we'll be fine. Mosquitos you can always deal with some spray.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?

I did not stay at TRC but did stay at Refugio Amazonas operated by Rainforest Expeditions. Is this the group that operate TRC as I can see a link to it on their website? I was there in mid October.

Firstly while the humidity was high I found the sheets perfectly dry and not effected by the humidity. This was in line with my experience of growing up in tropical North Queensland as a child where we had high humidity and no aircon.

While they said there was hot water I would describe it as warm water suitable for a shower in a hot temperature. I hate cold water showers and found it the ideal temperature. There was not steam gushing out and it was not a strong flow.

Even though it is the middle of summer make sure you throw a light warm jacket in- a fleece would be perfect. On my last day a storm front moved through the area and the temperature dropped. The 3 hours on the boat trip back was to say the least miserable. Almost everyone on the boat could not believe how cold you could be in the middle of the Amazon jungle. I had a thin merino wool jacket on and long pants under my rain poncho.

For the rest of my stay it was very warm and humid. Cotton clothes that got wet/damp did not dry hanging them out in our room. Wet socks stayed wet the whole time so take plenty if you like dry cotton socks (like I do). Think about some quick dry synthetic fabrics and you will have dry clothes every day.

While I did not stay where you did and it was 2 months earlier I hope you can gain something from this post.

Reply to: Conditions at TRC in December - damp bedding? hot water?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted