We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint-Emilion in September?

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Saint-Emilion in September?

We are thinking of staying in Saint-Emilion for 2 nights/1 day in the latter part of September. We'd like to go on a few winery tours (which we'll reserve ahead of time) and explore some of the wine caves/cellars in Saint-Emilion. We will then continue on to the Dordogne where we will be spending several weeks. I was wondering how busy Saint-Emilion is at that time? We realize it's a tourist town and don't mind that for a day but we don't want to be in a place that is so packed that there is no pleasure in wandering around.

Thank you very much for considering my question.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint-Emilion in September?

Well, they'll be getting ready for the harvest, so it could be quite busy. It's often lovely weather in September, too, and that brings out the tourists. I would expect it to be fairly crowded but not necessarily "packed."

Dordogne, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint-Emilion in September?

I don't know directly what St. Emilion is like in Sept, I do know that out of season generally it is not too packed. I can say that last year we stayed in France for 3 months, July to Oct in the dordogne region which gave us a good feel for the changes during the summer months. The thing that really surprised us was how empty the markets became after Aug. The 2 markets in question are Duras which thrives in the summer and Riberac, one of the largest if not the largest in the Dordogne. From this experience I would say that in late Sept St Emilion will be very comfortable tourist wise.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint-Emilion in September?

Thank you, thebrond, for the interesting observation. I will add the two markets to our list of things to research as we prepare for our trip. Did you happen to tour any vineyards or do any tastings during your stay?

Saint-Emilion...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint-Emilion in September?

Hello,

End of September is a great time to visit Saint-Emilion, as it is during (or close to) the harvest time. Winemakers can be busy, so some might not be available for visits, but I'm sure you'll find some places to visit.

You can book directly at one or several wineries. As you have a car, it might be more interesting for you to go by yourself, as you could choose the places where you want to go. You'll find a list of Châteaux on the website of the Saint-Emilion tourist information: http://www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com/

And a good thing to know, if you don't want to book in advance or don't know which to choose, is that the tourist office has selected the "Chateau of the day"

Everyday, 3 or 4 chateaux are open to visits, and you'll find the list on the following link: saint-emilion-tourisme.com/uk/6-chateaux-to-… (It's a bit too early now, but you'll have the planning for September probably at the end of August or beginning of September).

You then just have to contact them to know if they still have some availabilities for visits, and to know if there are fees for visits. You're supposed to call before but when we are chateau of the day, some people show off without booking and as we are usually not fully booked, we welcome them for a visit.

If you are interested by our vineyard, we are open on weekdays, and by appointment at week-ends: saint-emilion-tourisme.com/uk/6-chateaux-to-…

I hope my answers help you. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. I hope you'll have a great time in Saint-Emilion!

5. Re: Saint-Emilion in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 15:15