We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting there

Level Contributor
264 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
getting there

Hi its my husbands 60th in july ,he is very interested in this area and i would love to take him there for a few days ,but im finding it hard to match it all up ,flights from Manchester or Leeds to Limoges ,well so varied and times getting there are varied too ,can anyone help with this please ...thanks Di

2 replies to this topic
Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting there

hi di,

cannot comment on the flight problem, as when we went , we drove to oradour, as we were staying in confolens for the festival. i had heard and read about it and was told to go by others who had visited..

it was an emotional visit. to walk around the ruins was a moving experience, and as my wife say`s spooky too. but not have missed it.

the photo`s on here, are good, but you need to go there.!!

Edited: 20 February 2012, 19:12
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting there

We visited Oradour-sur-Glane from our B&B base in Chamboret but I imagine Limoges would be the nearest airport. Are you planning to hire a car on arrival? Limoges itself is not the easiest of places to drive around and I would suggest you avoid it at least until you have had a chance to get accustomed to driving in France for a bit.

Oradour is indeed a very moving and emotional experience. You can watch a short film in the exhibition hall before entering the actual village. The original Oradour is completely void of people as the original inhabitants could not bear to return there after the war ended. They didn't want to completely abandon their countryside and so they built another village on the other side of the road in the 1950's.

If you drive out of Oradour towards Limoges, you can stop at a small town called Neuil where it is nice to sit by the lake. We were in the area of Limoges during the month of October and it was very hot.

Reply to: getting there
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oradour-sur-Glane