We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Which Rust hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

I' ll be packing things tomorrow for our vacation trip in Baden-Wurttemberg area (arrining on Monday) and been looking for some weather forecast. Whilst the BBC forecast refers to Heavy Rain showers, the Deutsche Wetterdienst indicates that the same following days will be partly cloudy (Regenschauer) for the same days. I know the weather can be unpredictable, but could we have some advise from the locals, at least for the following few days! ( That is should we come with wellington boots on or not?)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Regenschauer = rain showers

You have to be prepared that it rains on and off, with warm sunny stretches in between.

i.e. be prepared for anything :-)

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Thanks Altamiro ( for the translation, as well- you can't trust the automatic web translators on this delicant issues). Since it will be my son's birthday on Monday, we planned to visit Europa-Park on that day, but now I am having second thoughts.

<On and off>

How long ON may last ( half an hour or 2?) Could we risk a visit to the Park?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

"On" can mean a downpour of 10 minutes or a drizzle of several hours. Hard to pedict. On the other hand, the park will be less crowded if the weather is not perfect. Another point to consider: Summer holidays in Baden-Württemberg begin next Thursday, so catching one of the days before while the kids are still at school is a wise approach.

Bring rain gear and good shoes - wellies are very uncomfortable to walk in. The recent heat wave is finally broken but temperatures may rise again towards next weekend (DWD says up to 27°C), so pack some light summer clothes, but also some warm sweaters/fleeces. Clothes that can be combined and worn in layers are most useful.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Monday is going to be cloudy with rain with a high temp of 17. And yes, I do have a magic globe.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

My magic globe predicts 19-20°C on Monday for the Rhine plain between Offenburg and Freiburg. Not perfect for anything that has to do with splashing water. Otherwise, far more pleasant than the 37°C we had about a week ago.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Apart for being a beautiful country, we opt Germany for the cool breezes through the summer period ( we have excessive heat here and hate it!). So tempratures around 20deg are most welcome, however, especially for a Europa-Park visit, rains are not!!!

Think we'll leave it for Tuesday and there goes my son's 31 EUR free entrance :(

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

Personally, I would take just a small folding umbrella to deal with possible rain, and a windbreaker should also handle the rain and also possible cool temperatures. What rain showers mean can vary widely, with no rain at all where you are at, to perhaps a few minutes of very light rain, to several continuous hours of heavy rain, but usually will be a few minutes of light rain followed by at least several hours of no rain. If you watch the weather pictures on TV, you can see that this area is subject to bands of clouds that pass by, with or mostly without, rain.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

I will try to do some magic spells, voodoo or something and check again the weather forecast-I hope I will be able to follow Marcopolko's advice. Thanks for your input!

9. Re: Magic globe, anyone? Weather forecast- what to pack!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 06:16