We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets!!!

Which Afandou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancs
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Toilets!!!

Hi

I have heard that you cannot put toilet paper in the loos in Greece Is this true?? Staying at the Georgia but I presume all the hotels have the same policy?

I have been advised to take nappy sacks to put loo paper in??

Can anyone advise?? sounds yuk

Thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets!!!

Hi

Yes its true you may get away with it for a while before you get a blowback and a lot of mess, nappy sacks are ideal and nicer for the cleaners.

All the best

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets!!!

Hi there

This is the case all across Greece I'm afraid. Don't let it put you off though, as had been said, take a box of scented nappy sacks and deposit the paper in those. The bins by the WC will be emptied every day.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets!!!

The policy is also the same in many places in old cities in Europe - including some low rise older hotels in London, actually. The problem in most places is old and inadequate sewer systems - or - a lack of adequate water pressure. It's been decades since London was able to keep up with the water requirements of its population, so it's hard to tell exactly what the reason is there.

In the Islands, the problem is that the rest of the world discovered them and a completely unforeseen increase in demand from all the tourists has left them in their current condition.

The code is simple. If there is a bin immediately adjacent to the toilet, don't flush the paper. The same code is used throughout Europe, so you'll always know whether or not to flush even if you don't read French, or Dutch, or Russian or whatever.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets!!!

its not as yuk as it sounds,as long as you use nappy sacks.if your going for 2 weeks you might find yourself looking for the bin when you get home.i know i always do .lol

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets!!!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly are "nappy sacks?"

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilets!!!

Hi

Diaper sacks or bags then.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilets!!!

I can't believe that people find this so strange!

You can also use sanitary bags, but you have to bring them from the UK as there is no such thing in Greece.

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilets!!!

oooh! That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me RRichie.

TH13...It's not that I find it strange in a negative way. It's just different. I'm trying to be as best prepared as possible for my trip.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilets!!!

No, no, don't get me wrong!

I was just wondering because I've been to many London hotels that you are not supposed to flush paper but it seems like no one who lives in Britain has ever put a piece of paper in a bin!

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilets!!!

Understood. As long as I have a toilet, I'm happy!

Get answers to your questions about Afandou
Recent Conversations