We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Hello all,

New to this forum as planning our first trip to Kefalonia in a few weeks. Have seen some apartments on another website called the Olive Bay apartments - sound great with 100% reviews!

Neither myself or fiance have driven abroad before (despite being in our 30s!) shameful, I know. We're not too sure about doing so either now and wondered will Agia Efimia be the right place for us if we are without a car.

Both of us are looking for a relaxing break and I love the NE part of Corfu for sparkling seas over shingle etc for swimming/snorkelling. Also really like traditional Greek feeling villages. He likes landscape photography so I think it's the right place.

Are you able to book any excursions from here? We'd like a boat trip maybe and to see the caves etc. Can you hire a 'man with a car' or 'a man with a boat' here (you can in some smaller villages in Corfu and it makes for a great day out with local knowledge to boot).

Any thoughts appreciated about our possible accommodation and the driving issue.

Thanks.

bristol
Level Contributor
740 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Hi. Agia Efimia is a lovely village. Have not stayed at Olive Bay but as you say reviews look good. Daily boat trips go from the harbour and they are excellent. You can also rent a boat for the day which is really straight forward and will take you around the coast to some small beaches. The caves at Sami are reachable by taxi and I should think taxi cost would be about 12Euros each way. If you are there for one week you can probably manage without a car if you book trips etc. If you are there for two weeks you may want to hire some form of transport. At that end of the island the roads are good and not too busy. If you do hire a car it may be a good idea to hire from the airport when you arrive. Taxi will cost approx. 50Euros each way to Agia Efimia.

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Very helpful - thankyou so much for your information and tips.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Writing this from Olive Bay..our apartment seems very nice...handy for all tavernas etc

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Hi,

Driving on Kefalonia is very relaxed and the roads are not very busy outside Argostoli.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

The roads are sometimes (often!) twisty and wind round the mountains but all the main roads are wide enough for two coaches to pass each other.

As the travellersfrombristol have said you can save a lot of money by hiring from the airport if you want to hire for the duration. See this link for details of best local companies.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189457-i1615-k7…

If you just want to try one for a day or two then there is a company based just off the main square.

The boat excursion company based in Agia Efimia is in this link

kefaloniatravel.com/island_cruises_ithaca_le…

There is another one based in Sami with a more traditional looking boat.

www.samistar.com

You can of course just walk a few hundred metres out of the village towards Sami and find some little coves and beaches for sunbathing, swimming and snorkelling. We used to clamber down the rocks to a (fairly) flat few rocks for sunbathing and step into the sea.

There is also a bus into Argostoli at 07:25 each morning and the last one back is at 13:00 hours so you could spend a morning there.

There are lots of good tavernas in the village and don't forget Pergola on the way out of the village about 100 metres beyond the scuba diving school. It is a traditional taverna that is the only one in the village open all year.

Have a great time

Bob

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Cheers Cheekychappy! Be sure to let me know how your stay goes and any tips :)

wow! Bob you are a font of knowledge; fantastic and many thanks for all the links. We've just read the driving one - typical Greece! We might give it a go and hire for a couple of days whilst in the resort (if we get a response to our emails to Olive Bay and get booked!).

I love quiet traditional Greek villages and the sound of hopping onto rocks and going swimming sounds lovely .... off to find my beach shoes!

Best wishes

Katie :)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

If no luck with Olive Grove I have a couple of other ideas of places.

Bob

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Excellent - would appreciate any suggestions re accommodation, Bob.

James is now wondering whether to drive from the airport (feeling inspired). Is it an easy route up to Agia Efimini? I just keep thinking about getting out of Corfu Town once you landed there!! Nightmare!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Hi,

Driving to Agia Efimia is quite easy. If you do decide to hire a car from the airport then let me know and I will give you a route that avoids bits that might worry you.

Accommodation:-

This is an old-fashion hotel on the edge of the village with rooms generally having mountain views.

www.booking.com/hotel/gr/moustakis.en-gb.html

Nice hotel near Olive Bay but a bit pricey

http://www.hotelodyssey.gr/

This one is quite a way out of the village and is both plush and expensive

http://www.kefaloniabaypalace.gr/

This is a traditional village house on the sea front (across a quiet road) in front of the Olive Bay

http://www.astro-holidays.com/ritsahouse.html

This one is a cheap, clean but very basic set of apartments about 50 metres from the harbour. My brother and I often use them. One room has a seaview through a small gap in two other buildings!

www.konstantinosapartments.com

This hotel was one of the first holiday hotels built in the village. I locally owned and hasn't caught up with the internet yet!

Gonatas Hotel contact details

Phone : +30 26740 61500, 61501-2, 61213

Fax : +30 26740 61464

Address : 280 81 Agia Efimia KEFALONIA IONIAN ISLANDS

Here are a nice set of apartments and include a taverna that wasn't up to much a few years ago! It is about a 5 minute walk from the village centre.

http://www.makisvillage.com/en/

These apartments are right on the waters edge. Some studios have a "mountain view" they can be a little noisy for about ten minutes every so often when a group of fuel lorries go through the village from a ferry. The "seaview" rooms do not have this slight problem.

http://waterside73.wix.com/waterside#!

If you find others I may know of them and could perhaps comment.

Hope this helps

Bob

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

excellent - many thanks again, Bob.

Amalia from the Olive Bay has now replied and has a free room, but we'lll defo look at some of these too.

I've found the Odyssey - wow! we're trying to save so want to have a cheaper break, but boy! I want to stay in there!! It looks fantastic and the food sounds good, too. I do like trying different tavernas though so we'll have to come back for Odyssey once we've got married ..... maybe our honeymoon if we love August break.

I'lll defo get in touch about routes from the airport nearer our departure of the 14/8 if James decides to hire from the airport.

Thanks Bob. :)

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in agia Efimia August 14 without driving

Hi Greekmuse

Just read your comments based on Bob's information re the Odyssey.

We have not actually stayed there but have friends who's daughter and her family have and said it was amazing.

We do however visit on my birthday each year and use the fantastic pool and have a lovely lunch on the balcony overlooking the bay.

They are a really lovely family that own it and will make you very welcome if you buy a drink or a meal and the pool has fantastic views and the food is no more expensive than some of the tavernas.

This will give you an idea of what its like for your special holiday when you are married.

Enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Agia Efimia