We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Question

Huntingdon, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Medical Question

Hi

I have Angina and have a GTN Spray that I must carry with Me at all Times.

Does anyone know if there are any Procedures that I need to follow to take it on Board with Me ?

Thanks

Gill

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Question

Hi Gill,

The information is taken from this government website.

nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-servic…

"You are allowed to bring medical equipment if it is essential for your journey. The equipment will be screened separately and must be accompanied by supporting documentation from a qualified medical professional, such as a letter from your doctor."

On an associated topic, but one I hope you won't need, the chemist in Agia Efimia speaks excellent English and there is also a 24 hour medical centre on the outskirts of Sami.

Have a great holiday

Bob

Huntingdon, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Question

Thanks Bob

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Question

I was amazed to hear from the Thomas Cook rep on my visit in July that to be covered by their medical insurance you had to ring the doctor in Agostoli if you had a problem. The medical centre in Sami is not covered by their insurance even though it is large and only 6 miles away. Agostoli is three times further away. In this situation I will NOT be using Thomas Cook insurance again. I found this unbelievable.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Question

This seems crazy! I wonder if the reps get a kick-back from that doctor?

bristol
Level Contributor
742 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Question

Hi. I used the medical centre at Sami about one month ago. I went to seek help and advice. I spoke with an English speaking doctor who examined me. I needed no treatment. I did not have to produce any paperwork at all. Not sure if this helps you

Patras, Greece
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Question

Do you have a EHIC card? If not I woud advise you apply on-line. It's free.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Question

Well I've booked 2015 already and it's the Golden Wedding Anniversary. So as I have yet again had another medical age related disaster and have booked more than one holiday I've shopped around. Thomas Cook have now offered me a 20% discount as I refused their cover .Low and behold despite this I've got a cheaper Medical and travel insurance for both my wife and self for annual cover as opposed to last years single trip cover . I had to ring the insurance company as the internet list did not cover my now many medical problems

.P.S. I also have taken out the Euro cover as suggested before, it was quite easy really and came in 7 days.

Edited: 06 September 2014, 17:47
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Question

Hi antyesobel,

I assume the "Euro cover" is the EHIC. If so it allows you to have treatment as if you were, in this case, a Greek resident. It is a places like the Sami medical centre and the hospital in Argostoli. It does not cover private treatment but your other medical insurance should sort that.

By the way I wonder if you could write a review of your holiday and post it in this link. We are trying to get the link established as a "sticky" on the Cephalonia forum. We do not want a proper review of your accommodation or tavernas (there are other places for them) just a general review/report of your holiday.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189457-i1615-k7…

Cheers

Bob

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
710 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical Question

During our holiday in June , my wife needed medical treatment for a sinus infection.

She was looked after by Dr Michealadus ?? , his practice is at the start of the pedestrianised

shopping street in Argostoli. We had to pay for the treatment and claimed it back on our medical

insurance when we got home. He told us the Ehic card can only be used at the local hospital.

The doctor who was recommended by Thomas Cook spoke excellent English, his examination,

diagnosis and treatment for my wife was first class.

The only down side was as my wife was taking antibiotics she was only allowed 1 small glass of

wine a day.

10. Re: Medical Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Agia Efimia