We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Eat

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Places to Eat

Hello, we are going to the Scillies next month and are wondering if anybody has any thoughts on places to eat on St Marys. We are fairly middle of the road when it comes to taste and are quite happy to enjoy pub grub for an evening or two.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on places to visit and general tips.

13 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Eat

Have a look at the reviews on TA. In my opinion the best places on St Mary's are Juliet's Garden, Speros (neither of these are cheap but the food is very good) the Mermaid, the Bishop and Wolf and the Dibble and Grub. We always eat at the Turk's Head on St Agnes as well. However just a word of warning; we have found that although a place is good one year it doesn't mean that it will be good the following year because there could be a different chef. I am sure others will contribute with their favourites

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Eat

Also The Clubhouse at the Golf Club was very good when we were there last summer.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g488312-…

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Eat

I would second Juliets Garden, and I've always liked the Atlantic Inn, but like Kernewes says, they tend to have a high turnaround of seasonal staff in some places, so quality can vary.

If you go to Tresco, the New Inn is a firm favourite of mine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Eat

Hi, Tregarthen's Hotel close to the jetty (where the ferry picks up/drops off) offers superb lunches and evening meals.

Top quality food which can be eaten on the verandah with great views, or in the little garden, or inside.

There are some good offers at times. We had a superb 4-course meal for under £25 per head which was outstanding.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Eat

I missed Star Castle. That's pricier, but very good, I will certainly be eating there again next time i'm over.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to Eat

We've just returned from Scilly and loved Juiliet's Garden, not cheap but certainly excellent quality. We also ate at the Atlantic, in the bar, the food was good and reasonably priced. The Turk's head on St Agnes is very good, we've had lunch here a few times. Although this time we happened across the High Tide which has amazing views and lovely sandwiches; they also do seafood in the evening.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to Eat

I forgot to mention Carn Vean cafe on the NE of St Mary's near Pelistry Bay - A lovely spot to stop for sandwiches/cakes/light meals.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g488312-…

Fowey, England...
Level Contributor
24 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to Eat

My experience would rate the Juliet's Garden - with it's gardens overlooking the sea and the Gig racing , Dibble & Grub (in the old Fire Station) overlooking the sea, and the Old Town Inn - Old Town

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to Eat

Thanks to everyone for their advice. We've just returned and had a great time and tried out some of the places suggested!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to Eat

Glad you had a good time. What was your favourite place to eat?

Reply to: Places to Eat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Mary's
Recent Conversations