We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

Just wanted to share some tips for those traveling to exmouth / ningaloo in winter. Particularly if, like us, you live somewhere warm, and are used to warm sea temperatures. Despite what some locals might try to tell you, you may not be warm enough to swim or snorkel in just your swimming costume. I was concerned about this and had rung ahead to find out if we could hire wetsuits. I found that the exmouth dive centre was very helpful in this regard, hiring us excellent suits, for just $ 10 a day. I am so glad we did this. It meant we could stay out snorkeling for as long as we wanted without feeling cold. Also saves on sunscreen!

I would also advise people to be well prepared for cold weather out on the whale shark boats. I deeply regret not taking a wind proof jacket to wear over my fleecy jacket. The crew were wearing beanies and parkas, which says it all! I highly recommend a zip up fleece, as they dry quickly and are much warmer than a regular cotton wind cheater. Two of us were too cold in the short wetsuits provided n the boat. Luckily they had some spare long suits, but there is no guarantee of this. If you know you feel the cold, I recommend you discuss your wetsuit needs with the company before the day. The last thing you want is to be too cold to feel like jumping in again. Of course, the weather can be sunny and calm in winter. But it can also be windy and cold. Great for bush walks mind you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

Excellent advice. Did you see whale sharks?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

Thanks melscottmax - and some weather bureau monthly statistics for Learmonth/Exmouth ~

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_005007.shtml

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

Yes we did! Just one, but we swam with manta rays three times and also saw humpback whales. A great day out! Just a bit chilly...

4. Re: Exmouth in winter. Be prepared!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:18