We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

First of all... Sorry for all these posts lately! Planning this has proven to been quite difficult!

Anyway, we think we have figured out an itinerary. Since it's a long drive to Exmouth, we've had to plan overnight stops there and back.

4th July - Perth to Denham. Staying in Denham for one night.

5th July - Denham to Exmouth. Staying in Exmouth for 10 nights.

14th July - Exmouth to Geraldton. Stay in Geraldton for one night.

15th July - Home.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

What are you planning on doing during your 10 days at Exmouth?

Have you considered dropping a couple of nights at Exmouth to spend them at Coral Bay? We had a great snorkel with manta rays there (admittedly a couple of years ago).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Perth -Denham is 840 kms. Do you want to drive that far in one day.? Also from NW Coastal hw it's a 260 km to Denham and back. I also don't see the point of staying Denham for one night. There's much to see and do in that area.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

What time of year? Hopefully not cyclone season?

Ditto what Tet says. Plenty to do in around Shark Bay to fill 3-4 days. I'd be hard pressed to fill 10 days in Exmouth though. Exmouth to Geraldon in one go? Don't do it. Way too far.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 19:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Think the OP is coming 4-15 july Mel ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Hi,

I also think 10days in Exmouth is a little too long. Why not take a slow trip up the coast & enjoy some other coastal towns...

ie. Exmouth / Coral Bay / Monkey Mia / Denham / Geraldton / Nambung National Park

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Oops.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

We got back from Exmouth / Coral Bay yesterday. We flew this time but are returning with caravan in tow in April. We are breaking the trip in Kalbarri. Our holiday was booked in Exmouth but we stayed only 2 nights! We weren't enamored with Exmouth! I'm sorry to say, it's just a town and anything to look at, see or do meant driving. The purpose of our holiday was to relax and veg so Coral Bay was perfect for us. We drove in, unpacked and didn't see the inside of the car again until it was time to leave. If you haven't seen the area before and don't mind the drive there's plenty to see.....it just depend what your holiday is for......but I must agree with some of the other comments, choosing Denham as your break is a biting off a bit and well off the main highway.

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Some ideas from an "outsider" as well :-)

Agree on Exmouth, it's not really a place to spend 10 days, town is small and not very "scenic". We only spent one night there.

Cape Range offers some great spots for sure but I would second the idea for spending time in Coral Bay as well. Great beach and and snorkelling within meters from the beach.

Denham/Shark Bay is nice as well. So is Kalbarri and the surrounding area.

Wrote a (very) long trip report from our trip back in Oct-Nov 2010, perhaps it can give you some ideas travelling up north: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255101-i530-k4061…

Edited: 22 December 2013, 08:11
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

This board is full of Coral Bay lovers including us. We spent a full week there once. Awesome! Kalbarri also is fantastic.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Exmouth in 2014... Thoughts/suggestions?

Instead of Perth to Denham (which I agree is too far for one stretch) perhaps consider stopping overnight on the way at Greenough just south of Geraldton - very pretty little town on a river, or alternatively stop for a meal in Geraldton and stay overnight at Kalbarri - it has the estuary, the gorges, the ocean beaches and several attractions close to the township worth visiting.

Even if you end up staying at Exmouth you can still do a day trip to Coral Bay - many people dont know that the Ningaloo coral reef is so close, literally just off the shore, so you can swim from the shore and snorkel over it (without having to pay for a boat to take you out, like the Great Barrier Reef.)

Must do from Exmouth is of course Turquoise Bay - just be aware of the current and stay close to the beach if you are not a strong swimmer.