We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit?

Which Exmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torquay
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit?

Hi! I have some flexibility when I can visit the region. When is the best time to experience it all (or as close to all as possible)? I want to do a whale shark swim and see as much marine life as possible. Is there a peak period when everything is more expensive?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit?

It's more about climate. Summer is cyclone season.

Whale shark season is generally after Easter.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit?

March-may: Coral spawning

March-May: Whale sharks

June-November: Manta rays

June-november: Humpback whales

November-march: Turtle nesting and hatching

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Summer is the quiet season but as mentioned above cyclones are around and it is hot and sticky. I have visited twice in July/ August. The first time it poured with rain which closed the road through the national park. If you can't do water-based activities you are somewhat limited. This year however the weather was perfect. Mid 20s, warm enough to swim, lots of whales and wildflowers blooming after good rains a short time ago. I did book a site at Osprey campground (online) so I wouldn't get there and find nothing available as it is a popular place. I did notice that the camp was full.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Confused, answer says whale sharks only upto may?

I thought June July was still good?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Well according to the Exmouth Visitor Centre, whale shark season is April to July.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit?

I'm sure visitor center knows best. My info came from Lonely Planet WA.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit?

We have been in May for 3 years running,great time as not too hot but a bit windy for fishing out on boats.We are going this year end of march for warmer weather and hopefully less wind and rain.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to visit?

The whale sharks usually go by July when the whales visit. We swam with whale sharks in early May and it was truly the most amazing thing I've ever done and would recommend that over everything else Exmouth has to offer. Try Three Islands Marine, who I'm sure will also tell when they are likely to be there.

Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
62 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of year to visit?

BellaHampshire can you tell me how busy the area was in May?

Did you find accommodation easily?

What was the weather like? One of the other posts suggests its windy that time of year-too windy to snorkel?

I realize that the weather is not exactly the same every May-just trying to get a feel for it.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Exmouth was quite busy but we found accommodation easily but had booked in advance - we treated ourselves to two nights with Salsalis (eco camp) which was fantastic as their small camp is right in the dunes by the sea. It was easy to snorkel from there and we kayaked.... there was bit of a breeze sometimes but fine. Then we stayed in the Potshot Motel in town - opted for basic but ok accommodation.

We have dived and snorkelled all over the world but this was the best (for me) by far because we were mostly on our own in the sea, except when we went out on the whale shark trip. They keep the numbers for those trips to a minimum so never a question of over crowding.

I'd do it again tomorrow if I could!