We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

We are coming to Fremantle on a cruise ship in February and as we have been before, were hoping to go to Rottnest Island this time. The ship comes in at 4pm one day and departs at 4pm the next day, which is way too early for the return ferry! We could get the 7.15am ferry out there but how can we get back in time for the cruise ship departure? Any ideas? Does anyone know of charter boat that would come and get us, if I could get together a party of people?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

There is a 2.00pm Ferry on Rott Exp (based on the Dec timetable - Feb not up yet) which would get you back to B Shed for 3.00pm.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

Could you tell me the link for seeing this - the only 2 ferries I can see from Rott leave at 10.40 and 16.25 - would be delighted if I am missing something here! Many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

This link should work - if not make sure you click on the "select your destination" drop down box to change for further options

http://www.rottnestexpress.com.au/Time-Table/

Its probably worth checking with your ship first to see if they have already organised a charter to be specifically times for your ships arrival and departure.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

Well, this is of course the what I have been looking at and as far as I can see, there is no departure from Rottnest to B Shed between 10.40 and 16.25, whatever day or month I look at.

The ship already has its excursions published and it does not include one to Rottnest - hence my original query!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

I put in the 7th December 2012 - just picked a date - same day there and back. Leaving from B Shed to Rotto and then return to B Shed.

There are ferries leaving FROM Rotto to B Shed @ 8.25; 10.40, 14.10, 15.55, 16.25 & 19.10.

I would imagine the Feb timetable will be similar.

So - I don't know what you are doing wrong but they are the available times from the Rottnest Express web site.

Get yourself on the 7.15 returning at 14.10 is my suggestion. No need to book in advance.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

OK, just been on the Rotto Express site again and found the following:

From Rotto to B Shed 10.40, 16.25 & 19.10

From Rotto to Northport 8.25, 11.40, 14.10, 15.55

I think you have combined the 2! However, this opens up a new possibility of coming back to Northport on the 14.10 - how far apart are Northport and B Shed - does you know?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

If you scroll further down on the timetable page there is a map showing the two jetty locations - they are basically opposite each other.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

Yes, that is true BUT there is a stretch of water between the 2! Does anyone know if it is feasible to walk along Port Beach Road, cross the water and walk back along Victoria Quay Road?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,338 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

To walk between the two is nearly 6km and would take at least an hour or more. You could call a taxi. Unfortunately there is no public transport at Rous Head.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting back from Rottnest before the 4.30pm ferry

Yes, that is what I had thought looking at the map. So the result would seem to be that we have no way of getting back from Rottnest in time for our cruise ship departure of 4pm - what a shame! With no public transport and no mobile phone, I don't think we would want to rely on our being able to get a taxi to get us back to the ship in time.

Get answers to your questions about Rottnest Island