We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast on Rottnest?

Which Rottnest Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast on Rottnest?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Rottnest Island on the last day of our Australia trip. We are thinking of booking ferries to/from BShed, Fremantle on Friday 17th January as I've seen there is a later ferry back on Fridays. (We are staying in Cottesloe so either way we have a bit of a trek!).

My main question is, if we catch the early ferry arriving at 8am (or possibly the next ferry arriving at 9am), is there anywhere once we get to Rottnest to get a nice breakfast to start our day? I've tried searching but can't find much information on breakfasts! I can't possibly think of eating breakfast at 6am when we need to leave the hotel!

We will be hiring bikes, so would like to eat before we start cycling to give us some energy! Does anyone know if it's ok booking bike hire when we book the ferries or are we better just leaving it until we get off the boat? Or are the bikes all supplied by the same company?

Also, I'm guessing that we will need to book our ferries in advance? I'd like to be able to leave it in case we want to change our plans around, but we don't want to get to the pier and find they are out of tickets, especially as we'll have to get up so early to get there!

Thanks!

Jane

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast on Rottnest?

The Dome cafe sells breakfasty type stuff - fruit toast, muffins etc.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast on Rottnest?

I usually go to Rottnest Bakery :) They have things like bacon and egg rolls as well as sweet pastries, pies and cakes. As the other poster mentioned, Dome is also on the island and sell cooked breakfasts.

As for bike hire, I've always just hired from the Rottnest Island Bike Hire when I arrive on the island so I can choose the right bike height, but if you want the peace of mind you can book online :) The Rottnest Express (the ferry company) also seem to have a bike hire available on their website but it's more expensive.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast on Rottnest?

For what it's worth, my experience with the bike hire from Rottnest Express was pretty awful. The bikes were in poor condition, the gears didn't work, and they were missing locks and tie downs. I tried two bikes, both were pitiful. Staff left before bike issues could be resolved.

I really regretted not getting a bike once I arrived on the island. They appeared to be better maintained (not exposed to sea water crossing on the ferry every day and being abused by staff tossing them on/off the boat etc) and offered actual choices like men's and women's!

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast on Rottnest?

Thanks guys for your tips!

It's good to know we shall be fed! It sounds like my fears of bike hire have been confirmed. We shall definitely just hire bikes when we are off then ferry.

Much appreciated, thanks again.

5. Re: Breakfast on Rottnest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Rottnest Island